is there really a big diffrence between f/1.4 and f/1.8

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by just x joey, Jul 2, 2007.

1. just x joey

just x joey TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have the 50mm f/1.8, and im thinking about trading it in to get the 1.4. is this a good idea? the 1.8 seems a little soft in the lower f/stops. also whats the big differences between the 85mm 1.8 and 1.4? im talking about nikon btw.

2. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The big difference between the 50 1.8 and 1.4 in my opinion is build quality. The 1.8 should be sharp enough, so the issue of it being a little soft surprises me. But it is made in China. The 1.4 is Japanese the last time I checked and is considered to be a better constructed lens. The 85 1.4 is said to be sharper than the 1.8. The extra 1/2 stop helps focus sharply in low light also. I have the old MF f/2.0 version. It is said to be optically identical to the 1.8 and it is a pretty good lens.

3. just x joey

just x joey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks, il probably return my 1.8 on thursday and get the 1.4 50mm.

4. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

The difference optically is 2/3 f stop. The difference mechanically is very significant. The 1.8 is a Chinese made lens with a plastic focusing mechanism. It won't last as long and has a signficantly greater chance of getting misaligned over time.