Is there really a difference between Canon and Nikon (regarding price)?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been doing a lot of research. It looks like the bodies of each run about the same price as far as getting what you pay for. I've noticed when both Canon and Nikon have a lens that's basically the same, the Canon one is usually slightly less expensive, but the flashes for Canons run more than the Nikons.

Anyway, this is probably a lot of comparison for nothing, but I don't have anything else better to do anyway. Would all of you people say that for comparing them as much as possible, that Canon and Nikon are pretty much neck and neck as far as price/what you get?

Yes- we all say that. Thanks for asking. Next question?

I've noticed when both Canon and Nikon have a lens that's basically the same, the Canon one is usually slightly less expensive
I've noticed that too, but one thing to consider - Nikon lenses come with a hood, Canon only includes the hood on L lenses. Add the hood and the prices are pretty much the same (seems like the hood typically costs about 10% the price of the lens).

I really wish some of the OGs here who are clicking "View All New Posts" as their way of surfing TPF and replying to anything that comes up that strikes their fancy would pay more attention to what forum they're actually posting in, see that this is the Beginner's forum, and cut people a little slack. This may be an old and tired debate to some of you guys but it's very worthy information to have for Beginners.

Anyways, yes, Canon lenses do tend to be cheaper, especially in the super telephoto range (300mm f/2.8 and up). Sometimes the difference in price is large enough that some Nikon guys will actually go and buy the Canon lens and a Canon body to shoot it with and still come out ahead money wise. A caveat though, and this is just based on what I've heard and the general impression that I've gotten (so not the least bit scientific) is that Nikon stuff "may" tend to be a bit better built so some of the extra expense might be justified, and that Canon "tends to" have more quality control issues on their lenses and even bodies. Some of it is purely economics though too. Canon sells FAR more super telephoto primes than Nikon does due to their hold on the sports market. Since they sell far higher volumes, they can lower the price of these things since they'll make it up on volume. Nikon can't do that and has higher prices here.

One of these days I'm going to get my newbie lens guide together (based on Canon and Nikon systems) and the general pricing differences will be included in that guide.

As for price of the SLR bodies, I think Nikon gives the better value.

Lens-wise, I believe Canon has a better selection, but it has been my experience that Nikons glass is better. Oh, I wish Nikon made a 50mm 1.2.

I'm a canon user and probably will stay that way. What I've heard is that Nikon kit lenses are a bit better than Canons. Now with 18-55mm IS that canon has they might be evenly matched again but that's what I heard.

Other than that price wise both are pretty same.

I see the comment "It's the same as the Ford/Chevy debate" all the time when the Nikon/Cannon comes up. So, I must ask, which one is comparable to a POS Chevy so when I'm in the market for a dSLR, I will know which one not to buy? :D

I'm a canon user and probably will stay that way. What I've heard is that Nikon kit lenses are a bit better than Canons. Now with 18-55mm IS that canon has they might be evenly matched again but that's what I heard.

Other than that price wise both are pretty same.

Yes I agree. for the lower end lens, it seems that Canon is not as sharp as the Nikon. (According to the technical data from lens review sites)

But it is really not the main problem. If someone really into photography, I believe they will soon get something better once they know what they want (and have the cash). From that point, it really doesn't matter that much. If someone really really really really into photography, price may not be a main factor any more.

So going with Canon or Nikon ..... it really up to you. If initial cost is important to you, then go with something cheaper (as long as you like how the way the camera works such as buttons or how it feels in your hand).

Trust me, once you buy Canon, you will find in some area, Nikon is better. Or the other way around. So, I save up some money and keep checking out some giant retail store/web store and see if one of them had a great deals on them.

on the flip side...

Look at the prints of Nikon and Canon of similar lens types. 99.9% of the viewers couldn't tell you the difference much less tell you which was taken with Nikon or Canon.

If you are comparing final prints, the comparison is pretty much spitting hairs at that point. Which leaves the core difference in the realm of the photographer's hands. Which camera feels better.. which is comfortable. That is purely a personal decision.

With that said... For the high end, I like Canon. For the low end, Canon is probably less value. IMO, Pentax is the best bang for the buck all around.... but that decision is only possible if the shooter doesn't care about the name/branding.

I really wish some of the OGs here who are clicking "View All New Posts" as their way of surfing TPF and replying to anything that comes up that strikes their fancy would pay more attention to what forum they're actually posting in, see that this is the Beginner's forum, and cut people a little slack. This may be an old and tired debate to some of you guys but it's very worthy information to have for Beginners.

:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back