Is there such a thing out there?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I will be picking up a lens soon. The next two lenses in line are the Nikon 80-200 2.8 and a macro lens. The only thing is, I have about $1000 to spend at the moment. Ive seen the 80-200 go for about $800. But that is no matter. The question of the post is: is there any macro lens out there that will meter on a D90 and expose properly without spending $400-500 for it? I dont care how old it is, and I dont mind manal focus. I can, and probably will, just save up for a good macro, but just curious.

Thanks.
Mark

I don't know much about the Nikon line, but you should look and see if the Tamron 90mm Macro works. It's an excellent lens and is often seen on the used market.

For $200 I think you are going to have to hit the 2nd hand market. Either for an older digital based lens or an older film one. I'll leave film lens suggestions to a nikon shooter who knows more about them - but have you considered something like a second hand sigma 70mm or nikon 60mm? Both might get into that price bracket (just) when 2nd hand and they should meter correctly on your camera body

You might check into a set of Kenko tubes and/or a few close up filters.

I have a close up filter. It just isnt the same. I have looked into used and older. Thats mainly what I was shooting at with this thread. My main thing is, since they are older, I dont know so much about them (if they will meter and set exposure, work on A mode, etc). I do well with lens acronyms, but I cant seem to wrap my head around the difference between Ai, Ais, Ai'd, and Non-Ai lenses. I know what Ai stands for, but I cant seem to keep my head around the difference, so its hard to look further into a lens if you dont know what the acronyms really mean. If that makes any sense. I dont mind getting an old lens. Ive used many old lenses, and as long as they work well and take photos up to 'par', then theyre just fine in my book.

Mark

The best macro IMO (for the lowest price) is an extension tube and a 50mm reversed on top of another lens. I use a ~20-30mm extension tube, an 80-200 with a 50mm reversed on the end and I can get well over 1:1 as far as I know, and it only cost me the extension tube (most people have a prime and another lens already). If you want better results you can epoxy 2 lens caps with holes in them together so you don't have to hand hold it.

Last edited:
55mm micro? although, the d90 may not meter with it. shoot. I know my d200 will meter but it has that capability. sorry, thought i could help

the tokina 100 F2.8 is 400 bucks new, and its rated quite highly.

Most reactions

Back