Is this a good camera? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Faith, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Faith

Faith TPF Noob!

Hi, newbie here so I hope this in the right place.

Well with the holidays coming up I though it's about time I asked for a good camera to take with me to concerts because my current one can take OK pictures at arena concerts but once you get to the rock clubs it's pointless, I know pretty much every venue around and been in all of them at least once so I know the rules, cameras are aloud as long as you don't need a bag for them, and they don't have removable flashes or lenses.
    I know that a person who I think takes really pictures of some of my favorite bands (yes, shes just a fan no special permission) has a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1,and from what I can see it takes pretty good video, good audio for a camera, and good pictures in low light settings like rock clubs. Also I know security lets these through the doors of the places I go for sure. I see that it isn't expensive so that's a plus, but a new camera is the only thing I really want to ask for I figure I could go a little higher in the price if there is a model better for what I want do tell or if you care to share some info and tips on this camera you are more then welcome.

If you suggest another model, do you know of any with a burst mode?

If i get this one, what setting do you think is best for concerts?

Thanks so much!
    Sorry I wrote so much, I just need to find the right camera.

2. boogschd

boogschd TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Considering you don't want a dSLR or anything with a flash that can be removed, I think the camera you mentionned is your best bet.

4. Stamp

Stamp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Okay... Not meaning to hi-jack, but your reply got me thinking. I just read a different post that a guy wants low light shots of his house with Christmas lights on it, and everyone told him to set is aperture to a very high number (7 or 8 I think), and you are saying that the low number is better for low light situations... I must be missing something. Can someone fill me in?

5. battletone

battletone TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That would be for depth of field so his whole house is in focus, and he will need a tripod to pull it off.
    For a rock concert you will be shooting from either so far away that it won't really matter, or you will be focusing on a person.

6. boogschd

boogschd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    - i think having a low F number + long exposure will make the lights very bright ... same with shooting the moon or fireworks :mrgreen: