Is this a good camera??

ferret_lovr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. I recently bought a Sony cybershot DSC-H3 8.1 megapixel, 10x optical zoom camera. I bought a compact digital camera so I could practice while I save up for a Canon 50D SLR camera for my photography class next semester. I have been taking some ok pictures with it but am wondering if this camera is worth the $215 I payed for it. Has anybody captured some great pictures with this camera? Is it a good camera to practice with for now? Can anybody recommend a good camera for around the same value that would be better to practice with for the time being? Also can anybody recommend a good beginner photography book that doesn't HAVE to be used with an SLR? Thanks for any help.

Yeah I wasn't too unhappy with it....I have taken a couple good pictures with it. I just got worried. I heard some good things about it but wanted more opinions so I could keep the decision. I took this picture with it.... Let me know what you think......

This ones for a competition using David Blaines Split Spades:
DSC00481.jpg

This is another option for the contest:
DSC00487.jpg

This one I just love because it is just what I saw...the extraordinary contrast:
DSC00215.jpg

I'm actually impressed at the relatively shallow depth of field this camera can attain. You can see in this shot and in this shot some bokeh, which most point and shoot cameras are unable to render.

I've always been impressed by the Sony compact cameras, but I've also always been annoyed and disappointed that they insist on sticking with their expensive and limited-ability ProDuo memory stick.

Nice pics and split spades, you a magician? The last shot was my fave although the horizontal line near the bottom is distracting.

The first two card pictures are my favorite, and, who is that doing the tricks?

Nice pics and split spades, you a magician? The last shot was my fave although the horizontal line near the bottom is distracting.

My boyfriend is a magician and I am entering a contest that David Blaine is hosting with the focus on his Split Spades. I'm excited to see what they say...The pics have been tweaked VERY much since this was posted! :eek:) But thankyou for your input. I like the last one too....:eek:)

Ferret lovr, I would save the money and not go with the 50D but go for the 40D, the 50D's extra 5 megapixels and higher res screen are not worth the extra cash. In fact that 50D's extra 5 megapixels cause more noise than the 40D did. And the new features are rather minimal, such as an HDMI port etc etc.

Ferret lovr, I would save the money and not go with the 50D but go for the 40D, the 50D's extra 5 megapixels and higher res screen are not worth the extra cash. In fact that 50D's extra 5 megapixels cause more noise than the 40D did. And the new features are rather minimal, such as an HDMI port etc etc.

Yeah I considered saving the extra cash but I don't have a camera that works so I need this camera. If I am without some kind of camera I go nuts. I just wanted a compact that I could use for now that was as much into photography as I could get for around that price.
But no kidding about the 50D? Thankyou SO MUCH for the info! Wow....yeah I thought it was the most ideal camera but since the extra money doesn't amount to much I think I'll look into the 40D.
Thanks again.

Neither, go with the D90, it is comparable, but much better.

Here are some pix taken with my DSC-H3 and I must say I really like this camera. I have soooo many more pix but these were already in my photo bucket. I personally only shoot in program or manual. To me that makes a world of difference. I'll be buying a dslr any minute too, but I cant decide which one I want for around $1500???? I wont be getting rid of my sony either!!:thumbup:

DSC01642.jpg

911Lights.jpg

Last edited:
To abve poster, get a D90 and a good lens.

Actually the 40D is cheaper and in some ways a better camera than the D90.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back