Is this a good camera?

agirl316

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a digital fujifilm s7000 but I also would like to have a 35mm is
the Olympus minolta 28-100mm SLR a good quality camera? :)

I meant to say Olympus cameras or what about a Minolta 28-100mm SLR

What sorts of photography interest you?

How much do you want to spend?

I like all kinds of photography but I really like doing weddings and children photos. I would like to spend around 300. :lol:

You are looking for the entry level model auto-focus SLR body from one of the big four: Pentax, Canon, Nikon, or Minolta. Olympus has pretty much stopped making SLRs, and concentrates on point-n-shoots and digital cameras (and I think they are doing a great job). This body will come with some sort of zoom lens; the better or bigger the lens, the more it will cost.

In my opinion, for most photographers, there is no real difference in the quality of photos taken by any of these brands. Each brand has it's followers (I'm a Pentax man), but they all do a good job. Look at the prices for accessories that you might want down the line. You'll probably find that generally Nikon is the most expensive, Canon next, Minolta, then Pentax. Canon and Nikon probably have more lenses and accessories available; Pentax and Minolta have more lenses and stuff than you'll ever need too. Plenty of other manufacturers make stuff that works will all four camera brands.

For weddings and portraits I'd recommend a 28-105mm lens. This will allow you to take people pics, landscape, whatever, and later you can add a bigger zoom. You should be able to find a camera with one in your price range.

Be sure and take inventory of basic functions that all cameras should have, and make sure they are easy to use:
shutter control
aperture control
ability to override DX coding and set ISO
ability to trigger shutter(and use bulb) with cable release or remote
ability to turn off AF and focus manually
Some of these things are easy to miss in the store, and you won't know they are missing until you need to use them.

Every once in a while Nikon (the N-60 was missing cable release and ISO control) will put out a model that is missing basic features. I'm sure other brands have done it too.

I'm sure that the best deal is on the internet, but if you are a beginner, buying from a local, knowledgable camera store can be a lot of help, and worth thre extra cost. When you have problems you can turn to them for help and advice.

Nikon kinda has priorities mixed up. An N75 will give you a spotmeter but won't allow you to change the ISO manually. The N80 is cheapest (auto) body that will allow for manual ISO settings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back