Is this a good deal for a Rebel XSI

I've seen this one come up a few times in the past and I don't recall them being the most reputable company. It looks like the camera comes with two lenses not really 4 as I belive that 2 are telecoverters of some type. And as for a lot of what they say is part of the package really comes with the camera no matter where you buy it ie. the battery and charger, cables, manual...

I could be wrong but...

Can on anyone comment on the quality of the lens that come with this combo?

My friend has had both the lenses that come with that kit. He immediately went back to the 18-55 that came with his original digital rebel instead of using the 28-80. And the 75-300 he only breaks out when he absolutely has to as the image gets really soft the after about 200mm. The screw-on 'lenses' they offer aren't worth using either.

Would it be better to buy the camera by itself using the lens that comes with it, and buying a lens seperate. If so what lens should I purchase, I would like to keep the cost of the additional lens around $150. I am using the camera primarly as a point and clisk so I do not need a zoom more than 5X or so, I would like a lens that lets in enough light to take good pictures indoors. Thanks

The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens costs only about $75 when purchased together with a camera body from a reputable dealer. That makes it a bargain (it would be $140-170 by itself). If you already know that you want a better/faster lens in that same extremely-useful range of focal lengths, you should consider the $400 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II. Another alternative for low light and wide aperture photography is the $85 EF 50mm f/1.8 "nifty fifty". For telephoto reach, you'd be better off with the $240 EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS than with the 75-300 lens in the bundle above.

Last edited:
I got my camera 2-3 years ago (XTi) and I also got a package thing like you did. I regret it honestly... It came with so much crap that I never use... The two lenses are ok, the two SCREW ON lenses that says telephoto and wide angle are crap... I never use them, infact I threw them away.... the SD card is okay for general use, but id grab a better faster one... The card reader is crap too (normally they give you really cheap ones), the bag (meh its okay?) THe cleaning kit sucks, the yellow cloth leaves yellow colored lint on the lens... The spray sucks too, it says dont wipe it off, but it leaves a sticky smudge on the lens... A thin layer of stuff, it says its a protective layer, but it sucks....

I regret getting my kit, if I could go back into the past, I would get body with kit lens, and then buy a 75-300 or something thats good to start off and its cheaper, and you dont get CRAP...

JustAnEngineer, thanks for your suggestions, I think I will go with the XTI and EF-S 18-55 combo, I also am interested in the nofty fifty, do you have any other ideas for a telephoto lens that may cost a little less?

Most reactions

Back