Is this a good deal?

SCraig said:
Actually, it's Muncie. Like the city in Indiana. I had a '68 Z-28 Camaro with one.

This whole topic is a waste. The guy is going to buy what he wants, he is then going to find out he doesn't like it and sell it. I suspect the same scenario played out with that fisheye that he just sold, and it will play out over and over and over. Sooner or later he'll realize that he isn't getting much better and switch to Nikon because the Canon stuff is obviously junk.

I'd recommend that he take that $90 and invest in a few books, an online photography course, or a membership in a local club but I'm sure that wouldn't fly either.

Photography is an expensive hobby. Good bodies are expensive, good lenses are even more expensive. People can choose to do one of two things: They can buy bottom-end gear and then replace it for better and then replace that for good, or they can buy the good stuff in the first place. You have been given some excellent advice in this thread. Whether or not you choose to take that advice is entirely up to you.

Lol I just watch Adorama free TV and Googles put that money towards a nice ND filter...68 camaro man sploosh!

'69 Firebird with a tweaked pontiac 400, Munsey 4 speed, 4:11's and some good cheater slicks!
Actually, it's Muncie. Like the city in Indiana. I had a '68 Z-28 Camaro with one.

This whole topic is a waste. The guy is going to buy what he wants, he is then going to find out he doesn't like it and sell it. I suspect the same scenario played out with that fisheye that he just sold, and it will play out over and over and over. Sooner or later he'll realize that he isn't getting much better and switch to Nikon because the Canon stuff is obviously junk.

I'd recommend that he take that $90 and invest in a few books, an online photography course, or a membership in a local club but I'm sure that wouldn't fly either.

Photography is an expensive hobby. Good bodies are expensive, good lenses are even more expensive. People can choose to do one of two things: They can buy bottom-end gear and then replace it for better and then replace that for good, or they can buy the good stuff in the first place. You have been given some excellent advice in this thread. Whether or not you choose to take that advice is entirely up to you.

Actually I didnt go out and buy a fish eye lens, it came with the kit I bought, I have photography books, and took courses at C1M in NH, usually not a good idea to jump to conclusions..... prime example of TPF "pros".

Actually I didnt go out and buy a fish eye lens, it came with the kit I bought, I have photography books, and took courses at C1M in NH, usually not a good idea to jump to conclusions..... prime example of TPF "pros".

Really?

Then why have you been asking so many really simple "beginner" questions????

Like:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/digital-discussion-q/293466-kit-lens-useless.html?highlight=

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...80-what-format-quality-prints.html?highlight=

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...not-shooting-fast-enough-help.html?highlight=

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ice-first-photo-shoot-weekend.html?highlight=

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...97-resizing-imagage-lightroom.html?highlight=

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/digital-discussion-q/296542-auto-focus-question.html?highlight=

These are the same questions we see from the people that picked up their camera at Best Buy last week! I would say the conclusions are pretty accurate! They definitely don't show knowledge gained from C1M courses!

And insulting every "TPF Pro" probably won't make you very popular here! What do you think?

Last edited:
Not all of us are "TPF pros". I am an amateur with about 40+ years experience. I am not a "Pro". My photographic knowledge is very good in some areas, still poor in others. I buy equipment appropriate for what I do. But here's the thing. Photography is a wide-ranging and fairly complex activity. There are many specialty areas, and for certain things the right equipment is absolutely necessary. However, much of the knowledge and skills are transferrable from one area of photography to others. So among "serious" photographers, be they amateur or "pro", there is an emphasis on acquiring knowledge and skills because we've learned that those often trump equipment (except for some specialized situations). We have also learned along the way that "awareness of" and "knowledge of" something is just the starting point towards "understanding of" and "mastery of" the techniques and skills. And the distance between the two points is often measured in years, and hundreds of hours of practice.

As for jumping to conclusions - our postings allow others to develop an idea of what a person is capable of and what they know. If someone claimed to know electrical work, and then asked the question what's a #8 wire, that individual would be communicating very clearly their ignorance of basic electrical practice. Your questions, and your emphasis on certain aspects, communicate to us your knowledge and awareness, and even though you may think some are jumping to conclusions, the conclusions come out of the questions that are asked. Give credit to the more experienced photographers for recognizing the state of your knowledge as expressed by the questions you ask. People are here to share in an activity that we all love. We love to pass on what has worked for us, and what has not. But to tap into that knowledge, it helps to be humble, and to at least acknowledge the information being freely shared with you.

'69 Firebird with a tweaked pontiac 400, Munsey 4 speed, 4:11's and some good cheater slicks!

I am beginning to think helping is a waste. Your desire to know everything is great, but your desire to LEARN everything isn't. You want to jump from A to Z stopping only where you feel like it in between-then only to give back attitude and childish behavior to those who do attempt to help you.

We jumped to conclusions from your elementary questions and images. They speak for themselves.

As I said, you've been given some good advice and whether or not you choose to take advantage of it is entirely up to you. You persist in trying to run before you know the basics of walking, but that is also your choice. For every person who does well as a photographer there are several thousand that fail, and in the majority of the cases the reason is exactly the track you are taking.

However I will do as you wish. Henceforth where you are concerned I'll keep my conclusions and advice to myself.

You're also a new dad. The learning curve there is far steeper than anything involved with photography. As a person with several grown "kids" and starting on the next generation, I can tell you that had I had the wisdom and patience to listen to my parents and grandparents, I would have had a much easier time of being a father. Well, maybe not easier, but certainly able to make better choices. But the arrogance of youth tells us that the older ones have nothing new to teach as we are in a whole new world. Later, much later, do we begin to understand that while the surface may be shiny and new, the underlying structure of how human live, learn, and act changes very slowly. At this point in your life, learning to be a good father to your new child, and to be a good husband to your wife while still fulfilling your other obligations, is probably going to keep you very busy. Having a child changes everything. Having a second child changes everything again. And the really hard part about this is that each new parent has to relearn the skills and knowledge that other parents had to learn. Having good role models is an absolute blessing, but unfortunately most parents have flaws (they are human after all), and therefore one of the jobs of new parents is to pick up the "good" advice and ignore the "bad" advice. It's not easy. But it can be done, and most of us have, to a greater or lesser degree.

okay well thanks for everyone's advice, although this entire time has been an argument ill still take something from it.

It's not worth it, I saw that lens on ebay for $225. USM is nice, but the lens is not any better than the kit lens according to the reviews I've read.

Most reactions

Back