Is this a good idea for getting my name out there?

shotgunshooter3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay folks, thus far photography has just been a hobby for me... But I have quickly gone from a complete noob with a Canon SX100 in December to being in the near final stages of purchasing my first DSLR. I am also planning in majoring in something to do with photography at this point in time.

Anyway, I have considered doing some photography work for pay on the side, however I lack both the experience and the reputation to do so effectively right now. To change this, I cooked up the following plan and would like input from all of you. Is this a decent idea, or am I foolish/naive/completely daffy/etc...

I will put a few fliers out advertising that I am an amateur photographer willing to do some events or portraits (prefer events) free of charge in the vicinity of my home town. All I will ask in return is that the "customer" spread my name via word of mouth.

I will provide a basic service, photograph the event and put the images on a CD/DVD (edited of course) with a watermark bearing my information. It will then be up to the "customer" to have prints made at their own cost and on their own time.

I will have this go for a certain time period, and depending on interest either cease or start charging a fee.

So, does this seem like a feasible idea? I love doing photography, especially events, so I wouldn't consider it really "time lost" since it'll be enjoyable.

It's always good to have a plan...and it's good that you are thinking ahead. That being said...
But I have quickly gone from a complete noob with a Canon SX100 in December to being in the near final stages of purchasing my first DSLR.
It sounds like you still have a long way to go and probably a lot to learn. So don't get too far ahead of yourself.

Get your camera and do what you can to hone your skills. You mentioned school...that's a good idea. You might also try to find a photographer who you can assist and learn from. Get as many photography books as you can find and read them...maybe twice.

Practice, practice, practice....
Shoot your friends, family and people you know. Get them to help you with word of mouth.

Word of mouth advertising is a huge help to photographers...but you have to remember that it isn't always good. If you start advertising and doing jobs before you are ready...you might get a bad reputation...which might be hard to shake.

If you are really serious about doing this school is the way to go. You will learn alot and have alot more credibility. Another option to try and this is universally suggested to people like you is to try to work for cheap or free for a real photographer so you can learn how things are done. If you are as you say just "in the final stages of buying a DSLR" I would say you have LOOOOOONG way to go before you are able to do something like this but hey some people might hire you you never know.

Practice your skills by doing what you stated in this post. If you are doing it for free to start with, then the product does not have to meet anyones expectations but your own.

I agree, get some business cards and get a website up so that people can preview your work as your name makes it around.

I am currently a photog student...What I do ever so many weeks is post on Craigs list that I need models for a school assignment. I offer them a free 8x10 for their time. I have had 7 appointments in all.

Once I process their photos I have been uploading them to photobucket for them to view. When I email them the link I offer them a CD of all their images for $29.99 or $24.99 if the choose not to have a 8x10 printed.
Noone has turned down the CD offer.

Since I tell them I am a student they know that I am still learning. However, since everyone has liked their photos they have all offered to model for me again if needed and have given me permission to email them when I have my own studio.

HTH

You might also check to see if your area has a cheapcycle yahoo group. My husband and I advertised on cheapcycle and have gotten at least 10 responses. We also put out a bulletin on MySpace.

Most reactions

Back