Is this a good landscape shot?

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like taking ladscape shots, but I'm not sure if it's because my techniques aren't good, or if its just the places that I'm shooting but I never feel that my ladscapes are very dramatic or impressive. Nice looking sure, but nothing special. Thoughts, opinions, comments welcome on this example, and the topic in general.

4468242465_3e48bfa89c_o.jpg

I really like the composition with the framed flowers in the forground, but the background doesn't do much for me. Its not bad, just I guess plain looking. No jagged mountains, or clouds, or sunsets, or anything unique. Its all sort of flat. If it was a clearer day maybe it would look better or the clouds would show more. Not sure if this helps or not, just my initial impression of it.

Maybe you are going too wide ( to get the flowers in the shot as well ) when it would probably be better to get a little zoom on this specific landscape to put the focus on the mountain/island/rock thing.

Just my humble opinion--I also feel as though the colors are muted. Are you on "landscape" mode on your camera? (Sometimes I find that landscape mode causes more blues and greens.) It could also be the time of day or the cloud cover (or maybe the plants really weren't very colorful). Early in the morning or late afternoon might be better for you.

I really like the composition with the framed flowers in the forground, but the background doesn't do much for me. Its not bad, just I guess plain looking. No jagged mountains, or clouds, or sunsets, or anything unique. Its all sort of flat.

I guess that pretty well sums it up for me - I think that I did a reasonable job but the subject just isn't all that amazing. This was taken late evening, there was a nice sunset about 15 minutes later but I didn't like the sunset pictures as much for some reason.

If it was a clearer day maybe it would look better or the clouds would show more. Not sure if this helps or not, just my initial impression of it.

Maybe you are going too wide ( to get the flowers in the shot as well ) when it would probably be better to get a little zoom on this specific landscape to put the focus on the mountain/island/rock thing.

This was with my 50mm prime, and was less wider than I really wanted to go. The island in the background isn't really that impressive, but it's something. I thought the flowers/framing in the foreground and the island in the background was at least mildly interesting compared to just one element without the other.

Just my humble opinion--I also feel as though the colors are muted. Are you on "landscape" mode on your camera? (Sometimes I find that landscape mode causes more blues and greens.) It could also be the time of day or the cloud cover (or maybe the plants really weren't very colorful). Early in the morning or late afternoon might be better for you.

I shoot RAW and post process so landscape/portrait/neutral modes mean nothing to me.

Try HDR?..may make it pop a bit.

:lol: no thanks. Not necessary at all in this situation.

Try HDR?..may make it pop a bit.

f*ck no, that would make it worse!

All it needs is color correction, add some yellow in there, lighten it up a stop, and it's going to be as good as it's going to get.

Actually, I like the shot! It might be a little monchromatic but if that's what was going on and you captured it then that's it. Maybe a polarizing filter could have made the clouds pop a little more but if the light was dim probably not. I forget if they cut through the haze as well.

You mentioned sunset 15 minutes later, I am guessing from behind you or off to an angle from the view you shot so it wouldn't have been a "spectacular" sunset, at least in my opinion.

I guess that pretty well sums it up for me - I think that I did a reasonable job but the subject just isn't all that amazing. This was taken late evening, there was a nice sunset about 15 minutes later but I didn't like the sunset pictures as much for some reason.

Well, like I said, its a good pic, and the idea of the composition looks really great. Just the subject. As others stated, you could probably adjust it a little to make it even a little better. Are you using photoshop?

The key to memorable landscape images is to be there, set up and ready to go 30 minutes before sunrise, and return and be ready to go again 30 minutes before sunset.

As mentioned, I have one when there was a bit of a sunset, which I'll post up later when I get home, but I don't like it as much. It wasn't a very impressive sunset, and because it was darker at the time I had ot use a longer shutter speed, and because there was a bit of wind the leaves in the foreground are all blurry which sort of killed it for me.

This photo was edited in photoshop, I have tried a couple of different edits but wasn't trying to go for the colourful oversaturated look. If anyone wants to have a crack at it then they are welcome to.

I'm a real hack at photoshop. Does it look too phony?
EDIT: btw, I really really like the image.

Untitled-1.jpg

Looking at it... Sorry.. I introduced a metric ton of noise into it and went too far on the color... also the pink moutains in the middle...
I suck

Last edited:
Haha, yeah not really an improvement from where I'm looking, but good on ya for trying :)

Hi Fokker. Time of day and weather are key factors.

Most reactions

Back