Is this a good lens? Canon 28-135 is

P3 Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have narrowed my lens choices down to the Canon 28-135is or the 18-135is? I have read some reviews and I'm leaning more for the 28-135, they say it is has a sharper image. Anyone use this lens? Good? Or Not so much?

What camera are you planning to use the lens with?

they say it is has a sharper image
Sharper than what?

It's an OK lens. Not terrible but not great.

I don't know that's why I ask on here!! ;)

Can you suggest a better one in this focal length range? I am finding these used for 200-250. That's where I would like to stay budget wise. You had said in one of my other posts there are some lenses to stay away from. What are they?

@ Big Mike>>> I just found my older thread, so you already answered that ?!! (Still trying to figure things out on here):blushing:

If it is for XSi and that is your first or only lens, personally I think the 28mm (28-135mm lens) may not be wide enough because it is used with a cropped sensor body.

But the EF-S 18-135mm doesn't seem to be as good as the XSi kit lens.

Review:
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - Review / Lab Test Report

So personally I would rather get the kit lens instead of these 2 lenses.

If it is for XSi and that is your first or only lens, personally I think the 28mm (28-135mm lens) may not be wide enough because it is used with a cropped sensor body.

But the EF-S 18-135mm doesn't seem to be as good as the XSi kit lens.

Review:
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - Review / Lab Test Report

So personally I would rather get the kit lens instead of these 2 lenses.

I have the kit lens 18-55is, 75-300 & 50mm 1.8:)heart:)
What does the cropped sensor really mean?

I have the kit lens 18-55is, 75-300 & 50mm 1.8
With those three lenses, why are you looking at the 28-135mm? If it's to get a significantly better quality lens, don't bother. If it's to get something that you are more comfortable with (longer than the 18-55mm but not as long as the 75-300mm) then it might be a good choice.

What does the cropped sensor really mean?
My advice to you, is to forget about it for now. It will only add confusion. Your camera will work with any Canon lens, EF or EF-S, as well as many lenses from companies like Sigma & Tamron...that's all you need to know...for now.

Thanks, I think I will just stick with what I have till I get better. Maybe save up for a L series lens when the time is right.

Thanks, I think I will just stick with what I have till I get better. Maybe save up for a L series lens when the time is right.

Who says the people on this site cannot help with decisions...:mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back