is this a good lens?

I would think that that lens is maybe slightly better...but not by a whole lot. It does have a bigger maximum aperture but it also has a variable maximum aperture (F2.8-4) which is smaller at the long end of the zoom. A higher end zoom lens will usually have a maximum aperture which stays the same through out the zoom, (F2.8 for example).

Also, the lens you linked to...is 28mm to 70mm. That is a fair bit longer than your kit lens. Do you want a longer lens, or do you want a lens that is about the same focal length as your kit lens, just better quality?

I have the kit lens, but I upgraded to the Tamron 17-50 F2.8. The image quality from this lens is great. The build quality and fee are much better than the kit lens as well. The maximum aperture is F2.8 throughout the whole range of the zoom.

Sigma also makes an 18-50 F2.8 lens, as well as a 24-70 F2.8. All of which are good lenses and much cheaper than the Canon equivalent.

can you link me to the tamron? and yeah the 18 is pretty pointless to me, i almost never use it except for wide shots but for that i want to get a wide angle eventually anyway

Unfortunately price cn be your guide when looking for lenses. If a lens is $129 you should not expect it to be much better if at all than your "kit" lens. Not being a canon person I really don't know their lenses A quick search of B+H brought this up http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/206434-GREY/Canon_6469A005_Zoom_Wide_Angle_Telephoto_EF.html still cheap but not a bad lens. This might be another way to go http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12091-GREY/Canon_2506A002_Wide_Angle_EF_24mm.html A fixed 24mm 2.8 it is a fixed lens bit it is also fast and affordable. This is probably another really good way to go http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/279582-USA/Canon_8806A002_17_40mm_f_4L_USM_Lens.html now were getting pricey but still not out of normal range.

If a larger max aperture is your priority and you aren't much interested in the wider side of things then a fixed focal length may give you the best performance for the money. Obviously the cheapest and brightest would be a 50mm (f/1.8 being the most common recommendation) but that may be a little long... a 28mm to 35mm would be a "normal" length (similar to using a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera)... Canon make a 28mm f/1.8 for a decent price, and JIP pointed out a 24mm which would be a nice moderately wide angle, though I'd be inclined to check out their 35mm f/2. Having seen the Nikon equivalent and owning the Pentax I'm almost convinced you can't make a bad 35/2... in my experience they tend to be excellent straight from wide-open whereas 50mms sometimes need to be stopped down a bit. Anyway another option would be the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 but I'm not sure it's such good value at $400.

If you can wait to save up $450 then I would go for the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Mike suggested. The Sigma 24-70mm (at the same price) has some good reviews and happy users but I can't help thinking 82mm is a silly filter size unless you also have a huge telephoto with the same. The Canon 17-40mm L would be a better investment especially if you plan to buy a full-frame Canon in the future (where it would serve as the wide-angle you plan to get eventually) but it is expensive.

I have the sigma lens that you linked in your first post. It is an improvement over the kit lense, but its not a huge improvement. I picked mine up new off ebay for about $80. Pictures with it are crisp and the AF works well. The 2.8 comes in handy at times but can only be use at 28mm. Like others have posted. You get what you pay for in a lens. If you buy L quality thats what you'll get. I would second getting the canon 50mm 1.8. Its a geat lens for little money.

Most reactions

Back