Is this a good next lens? Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, USM

rasheemo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/149629-GREY/Canon_2562A002_Zoom_W_A_Telephoto_EF_28_135mm.html

Right now I use a kit lens for my XT along with a 20 dollar UV filter. as you can imagine, the image quality is probably not amazing... although i don't notice coming from a P&S camera haha

anyway, i want an all around camera with IS that can do portraits as well as closeups and maybe even landscapes. The goal here is to find a lens that i will rarely need to take off the camera. 400 dollars is still out of my budget for now, but i will save up for it!

so is this a good choice given my purposes?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/149629-GREY/Canon_2562A002_Zoom_W_A_Telephoto_EF_28_135mm.html

Right now I use a kit lens for my XT along with a 20 dollar UV filter. as you can imagine, the image quality is probably not amazing... although i don't notice coming from a P&S camera haha

anyway, i want an all around camera with IS that can do portraits as well as closeups and maybe even landscapes. The goal here is to find a lens that i will rarely need to take off the camera. 400 dollars is still out of my budget for now, but i will save up for it!

so is this a good choice given my purposes?

not for landscapes, it will work great for portraits though :) for landscapes your going to stick with what you got unless you want to pick up a sigma 10-20mm or tokina 11-16mm but those are a little pricey based on what you said above

What kit lens do you have?

I am not sure the 28-135 is going to be that big of an upgrade (if any) to your current kit lens - is it the 17-85?

Also, you can find new 28-135s on Ebay for $200-$250 from people who bought 40D kits but had lens already. Same deal with 24-105L from those who bought the 5D kits, but this lens is way over your budget.

The 28-135 IS, is a decent lens. Not top of the line but better than the lower end lenses like the 18-55mm.

It can be a great walk around lens but I'd suggest that it's not wide enough for a lot of landscape type shooting. Try putting your 18-55mm lens at about 28mm and see what kind of view you get with that...it's not very wide.

There is a 'digital' version of the 28-135mm, it's the EF-S 17-85mm IS. It's a great walk around lens for digital 'crop' bodies because it's some what wide when you need it. I think it's a little more expensive but it would fit your needs nicely. I've got this lens and I like it a lot. The only down side is that the max aperture isn't very big....but neither is the 28-135mm.

well i guess that's fine but i also found it appealing because my 18-55mm didn't have a close enough zoom for my liking. I wanted to get decently close to objects that were (rough estimate) 100-200 feet away, but going to 55 didn't help much so i figured 135 would be great. it doesnt feel like 85 is too much better than 55, although i could be wrong. maybe a comparison shot...

Well, that's the obviously trade off, isn't it? :er: If you want wide landscape shots, get a wider (shorter) lens. If you want to 'zoom into things' then get a longer lens.

Another option would be something like a 28-300mm or an 18-200mm lens. These will give you plenty of options...but the sacrifice quality for that convenience. I wouldn't buy one of those lenses because the quality just wouldn't be up to the standard of my other lenses.

well of course but keep in mind landscapes are not a priority as i said, and if i really need one i can use my kit lens.

thanks for helping me out btw =]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back