Is this a good price for this camera ??

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions dudes !!

I am not officially on the hunt for an SLR camera , I am looking at craiglist.com and ebay , by the way I am undecided between getting a Canon Rebel XT ($300.00) looks kind of banged up , Canon XTI ($400.00) both of this come with the 18-55 lens , or get a Olympus E-520 with 14-42 Zuiko lens ($380)

What do you guys think ?? are the extra hundred dollars worth getting the XTI over the XT ?? are this good prices ?? better yet are this better cameras than the one I was gonna get ?? (the Canon EOS 20D)

Thanks . . . and I appologize for being such a newbie on this :blushing: but like my Daddy use to say (may he Rest In Peace) measure twice . . . cut once

He also said "always wear clean underwear . . . " but hey that's another story :lol: ;)

haha :p

Well i have the XSi (450D)

No... Technically this is not better than the Canon EOS 20D
The 450D is an Ametur Camera whereas the 20D is a Semi-Professional
But the 450D is probably better to use than the 20D for a newbie anyway (I use the 450D until i can afford another body then i may upgrade to a 20 - 40D.)
I do recommend the 450D it is quite a good body, the 18-55mm kit lens is okay.
if you dont know how to use iso, aperture etc.. then you can always use Auto mode (it is pretty decent tbh.) or you can use Program mode (same as auto but you can change a bit more than you can with auto)
one thing i recommend though... dont use the on camera flash (unless you have a good distance of about 5 - 10 metres from you and the subject otherwise you'll get a harsh shaddow.)
remember you'll need to buy an SD card too (files on 450D are about 4.5 mb - 12.2mb but i have images from my 450D at 15 / 16mb.)

Last edited:
If you're looking around for a camera, even casually, go to flickr and look up examples of that camera at high ISO to see how much noise they create. For example go to flickr and search "Canon XTI 1600 iso" especially if you're planning on doing low light indoor shots on a regular basis.

I really wish I'd done that for my D60. ISO 800 and 1600 are terribly noisy.

Also, check out the Nikon D40, D40x and D60 if you're not 100% set on a Canon. Cameta camera offers some pretty good deals on refurbs on EBay.

XT for $300 and XTI for $400. I believe it is a little high. Keep looking. Past weekend, there was a lady post an XTi Kit on the local craigslist for $200 (I asked and she reply she took about 5000 photos with the camera).

Of course, $200 is a steal. And I think $300 will be a fair price. (By the way, XTi is 400D, not 450D)

Not sure if you aware of this. Canon has a loyalty program, if you (or someone you know) have an old canon camera, work or broke. The program will let you replace your canon camera with a refurbished Canon camera for a fee.

i.e. a Canon EOS XTi refurbished with kit lens is around $350 with 6 months warranty and XT maybe around $300.

Phone number to call: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]866-443-8002 or 800-828-4040.

Of course, they do offer some other P&S type refurbished cameras as well.
[/FONT]

@UUilliam , benlonghair

Thanks for the comments you guys . . . I am really lost on all this info , ISO , Noise (what the heck is noise) , white balance , etc . . . I am just gonna go with either of those 2 models , if I do like it and think it's what I want to do , then I will save some more and get a better camera right ??

Link to Canon Rebel XT

Link to Canon Rebel XTI

XT for $300 and XTI for $400. I believe it is a little high. Keep looking. Past weekend, there was a lady post an XTi Kit on the local craigslist for $200 (I asked and she reply she took about 5000 photos with the camera).

Of course, $200 is a steal. And I think $300 will be a fair price. (By the way, XTi is 400D, not 450D)

Not sure if you aware of this. Canon has a loyalty program, if you (or someone you know) have an old canon camera, work or broke. The program will let you replace your canon camera with a refurbished Canon camera for a fee.

i.e. a Canon EOS XTi refurbished with kit lens is around $350 with 6 months warranty and XT maybe around $300.

Phone number to call: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]866-443-8002 or 800-828-4040.

Of course, they do offer some other P&S type refurbished cameras as well.
[/FONT]
Woooow . . . so I can just call and get one their refurbished cameras ??

check out Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera and see what they have for Used ones. Anything in E or better condition should be good with no issues
Thanks for the link . . . it seems like all of their cameras are over $400 dlls , and I do not want to spend more than that on any camera , maybe for a second camera once I learn this , or at least once I know what I am doing , but for now , that is not my price range :(

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks dude . . . I will definitely keep an eye on those 2 items , I just hanged up with the lady who is selling the Canon Rebel XT , and she is willing to go as low as $275 I think I am jumping on this one , what do you think ??

hmm.. I wouldn't be too hasty on turning down any deal that you know will go through as on ebay, you can get beat, or forget to bid...
If you can insure your getting a camera 100% then i would go for that instead of the ebay items.

If you would rather watch the ebay item to getting the ladies camera, Just ask her if she can hold onto it for about 2 - 3 days (when the auctions will have ended) that way if you fail to win it, you can always buy hers.

Hmnn I am meeting with this lady tomorrow , as right now I am in Tijuana , and can not go to San Diego right now (to much line to cross the border)

Anywho , does the Canon D350 has this feature like the 400d ??

Canon EOS Integrated Cleaning System
Click for Youtube video

She told me , and it says in her add that the camera may need a cleaning , is this normal ??

Yep.. All cameras will need to be cleaned especially if your on the road constantly.
The D350 has a smaller Mp count, but the quality is there.
the 400 has the 10 Mp, and is a later generation..(new model)
Personally, Ide stick w/ the 400. Oh and as for all the things to learn.. ISO, Noise, etc, dont hesitate to ask, AND send some pics and we can help you along with those too.

As for the anti dust feature.. no.

Yep.. All cameras will need to be cleaned especially if your on the road constantly.
Personally, Ide stick w/ the 400. Oh and as for all the things to learn.. ISO, Noise, etc, dont hesitate to ask, AND send some pics and we can help you along with those too.

ok . . . thanks dude !!

Are the cameras easy to clean ?? I mean I am not gonna use windex am I ??

ok . . . thanks dude !!

Are the cameras easy to clean ?? I mean I am not gonna use windex am I ??

Oh god no!!!
never use any glass cleaners, only use solutions designed specifically for the element you are cleaning (e.g. Lens cleaner, use it for glasses too)
And there is sensor cleaning solution, as a newbie your probably better paying a pro every 6 months or so to give your camera a clean (they just use a brush, usually arctic butterfly.) or they will use special swabs
Ill find a reference link to cleaning your sensor... you shouldnt touch your sensor unless you know what your doing!

The cameras are actually pretty easy to clean if you learn how

Most reactions

New Topics

Back