is this a good sd card?

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Right now for my new d90 im using a friends 2 GB standard SD card, no extreme speeds etc.... i need to buy my own today i found this deal
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Platinum-Flash-Memory-LSD8GBBSBNA060/dp/B0027VT6U0/]Amazon.com: Lexar Platinum II 8 GB 60x SDHC Flash Memory Card LSD8GBBSBNA060: Electronics[/ame]
says its fast etc...
is this a good card?

Where would I see the difference with a card that fast as 300x

I have a few Lexar SD cards, and I have the one you linked. Its a good card, very reliable (I have not had issues with Lexar at all). Its not an ultra fast card, but again, do you need ultra fast speeds? Unless you are shooting in bursts (sports and such) and if you can deal with the slower copy to your hard drive times, then you should be fine.

For the price, you are getting a good card.

Where would I see the difference with a card that fast as 300x

In high end cameras and when you move the pics off your SD to your computer. Even then, you'll need a fast harddrive to get 300mbs transfer rate.

Lexar is usually more expensive then other brands, but they have less review of failure on some websites. As I have no statistics on failure rate, I got no way to prove whether or not they are more reliable then any other brands. 60x is also not stellar in speed. I think for a D90, a class 6 card will be more then sufficient for both 720p video and max fps shooting. I currently use a 16gb transcend card class 6 and every time I take pictures with it, I offload the images to lightroom 3 immediately and perform a backup. Then i reformat the card and slap it back on the camera. It has worked really well for me. It also works well with 1080p 30fps video on the T2i with no hiccups.

I have had friends who had issues with Transcend cards, so I avoid them. When it comes to cards, I'm good for paying extra money for the reliability, as the last thing you want is to have a card fail on you during something important.

Sandisk and Lexar and my two choice companies.

Stores often have sales with memory cards. I picked up 2 8gb Sandisk ultras (30mb/s) for $30 a piece, when local stores sell them $60+

I do agree with bigtwinky that the extra money for reliability is good. You don't want it to loose all your photos when you are on an important trip and to find all of a sudden that your card is corrupted. But in the case that happens, try to find a card recovery software.

What's a good card retailer? Usually I look to eBay stores...

Card retailer? Honestly, it doesn't matter in my eyes. I go with who can get it to me cheaper. The card is the card, and its backed up by the company, not the reseller.

So whether I buy my Sandisk Extreme IX Pro 25600 GB from retailer x or retailer y, its the same card.

Card retailer? Honestly, it doesn't matter in my eyes. I go with who can get it to me cheaper. The card is the card, and its backed up by the company, not the reseller.

So whether I buy my Sandisk Extreme IX Pro 25600 GB from retailer x or retailer y, its the same card.

Unless it is from an unverified ebayer originating from China :) I have seen fake branded SD cards. They just print the Sandisk label and put it on questionable generic SD cards :)

Where's a good price check site. I used one before where u type in an item and it listed prices and the sites. Forgot what it was

Honestly, just check BH Photo in New York. They more than often have some of the better prices out there and you can safely use those prices as a guideline for the general market.

In Canada, we have photoprice.ca that lists various online retailers and their current prices, including shipping and currency conversion.

I do agree with bigtwinky that the extra money for reliability is good. You don't want it to loose all your photos when you are on an important trip and to find all of a sudden that your card is corrupted. But in the case that happens, try to find a card recovery software.
Paying extra money is not a guarantee of reliability.

Proper handeling and maintanence of a memory card is more important.

It has been my experience that brand, matters little.

Most reactions

Back