Is this a keeper?

jnthn205

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just went to this flower place and got some neat shots!! I am iffy about this one right now, so i was seeing if yall could critique it and what you would do different, adn if you like it how it is?

Canon 350D XT
18-55mm Lense /w +4 Close up Filter attached
Flash that is on the camera
Shot at sunset around 7:30 PM

critique1sd.jpg

I noticed your sig, so I edited a bit. I first sharpened the image, the I stamped out the other flower parts in the background b/c they detracted from the shot. Then I added a hue/saturation layer and adjusted the saturation a bit more...not a perfect edit, just quickly done, but it gives you an idea. Oh and lastly I cropped a bit off the top part...I like the part at the bottom and think it provides a better balance

See below post...I redited b/c it was too sharp.

After viewing my version larger, it may be too overly sharp...

eromallagadnama said:
After viewing my version larger, it may be too overly sharp...

Yup...it is over sharpened, but otherwise, I do like your edit. I disagree with kilafila66 about cropping just before the curve. I think the curve adds interest, and without it, you have a bit of a boring shot IMO.

Well the sharpening definitely killed the edit, so I put it back in PS and applied a soft focus plug in and came up with this which IMO is much better:

critique1sdsoft.jpg

alright, i like the colors on your edit. However, IMO it is WAY to sharp. Look on where it curves on the stem and you can see the border....Its stupid. Then on the pedals, you can see jpg artifacts... Maybe a little less sharpened...but keep the colors?

Well if you're going to call it stupid...then you can forget me trying to help you with any suggestions...

IMO yes my is still a tad to sharp, but yours is to soft, so if you can't deal with folks editing your stuff, then take off the line in your signature and don't post in critique!!! Or better yet, keep your "it's stupid" comments to yourself.

I could have been extremely honest and told you that I thought the picture sucked...but I thought instead I would offer help which was rejected...so you might want to be kind to those that are trying to help you next time.

eromallagadnama said:
Well if you're going to call it stupid...then you can forget me trying to help you with any suggestions...

IMO yes my is still a tad to sharp, but yours is to soft, so if you can't deal with folks editing your stuff, then take off the line in your signature and don't post in critique!!! Or better yet, keep your "it's stupid" comments to yourself.

I could have been extremely honest and told you that I thought the picture sucked...but I thought instead I would offer help which was rejected...so you might want to be kind to those that are trying to help you next time.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Whoa. Amanda? Pissed? WOW!

Whether you meant to be malicious or not, I'm going to have to agree with her: "it's stupid" are not the best words to describe someone's edit when they're trying to help you. There's only so much she could do with the photo. I'm not trying to alienate you, but please keep this in mind in the future. Thanks.

What's stupid is expecting people to spend hours trying to fix your photo. Amanda's corrections are dead on, and I'm sure if she wanted to spend another God knows how much time more sharply cloning, she would have done it flawlessly.

Sorry, but that was a really crappy thing to say to someone who had obviously taken more than a few minutes out of their day in an attempt to help you.

woah woah woah!! I wasnt saying your edit was stupid!! Woah Woah....Im very sorry if i upset anybody, that was not my intent....Yes as i re-read what i posted i come off as being an *** im very sorry. I am not expecting people to edit my photos in any way....the line in my signature is there if anyone would like to (For fun or as help) change the pictures i post. Geeze i am soo sorry eromallagadnama for hurting your feelings wow im sorry. I have already deleted this picture from my HDD because i decided it wasnt a good shot. Again eromallagadnama and anyone else i offended...i am very very sorry.

No problem jnthn205...I was offended but apology is accepted. No hard feelings :)

jnthn205 said:
woah woah woah!! I wasnt saying your edit was stupid!! Woah Woah....Im very sorry if i upset anybody, that was not my intent....Yes as i re-read what i posted i come off as being an *** im very sorry. I am not expecting people to edit my photos in any way....the line in my signature is there if anyone would like to (For fun or as help) change the pictures i post. Geeze i am soo sorry eromallagadnama for hurting your feelings wow im sorry. I have already deleted this picture from my HDD because i decided it wasnt a good shot. Again eromallagadnama and anyone else i offended...i am very very sorry.

We forgive you. :mrgreen: I kinda felt like you didn't mean it maliciously, and I'm glad you didn't. It can be really easy to misconstrue stuff like that when we can only read it. :)

hey. wow spiral i love your work. I checked out some stuff at your deviantart site. I love that flower series, like telling a story...its so original and beautiful!! I love it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back