Is this a problem

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was doing a shoot and I am noticeing a tiny red dot in the upper left corner on a lot of shots?? My D40 is not that old so I would not think the sensor should be going out but that is almost what it seems like?? Any ideas?

Do you have a picture you can post with the dot in it?

It sounds like you may have gotten a stray piece of dust in your lens or perhaps you don't realize that you're putting your finger in front of it while you take a pic.

It's hard to say without seeing it.

Does it come and go?

DSC_00382008-04-18_07-36-08.jpg

That is cropped in to see it better, I just notice it in several of the photos from tonight?

you've got a hot pixel. no biggie. I have one too on my D70....somewhere..

99.999999999999% of the time you can't even see it, and when you can, it's easily clone-out-able.

Don't sweat it, it's not like it's the end of the world.

Do blue ones also count as hot pixels? I've got one on my XTi, but it's only visible on JPEGs in long exposures. The Adobe RAW plugin get's rid of it as soon as I open a photo. No big deal, just wanted to know if it's also a hottie.

You could call a Nikon service center and find out. ;)

I wouldn't want that on my pictures!
I hope you can get it sorted out!

I did not get the warrenty with it so...What I will probably do is see how it does and if it is a problem then I can sell the D40 for a low price and go ahead and upgrade to the D80 which I was thinking about doing anyway for the AF motor. It is not as noticable in some shots but on a black background it stands out a bit. Does it mean that it may fix itself after a while or is it like a dead pixel?

Take a 3 second exposure and find out if it's still there. If it is then it probably won't fix itself.

Well I called the Nikon fokes and they said to take a photo at ISO 200 and if I don't see it that it is not a problem and is just the "nature of the beast". Well my thought on that is that sure, taking a photo at a lower ISO may fix it as that pixel may not get used, when a higher ISO is chosen then that "hot pixel" is used and seen??? I see it at ISO 400 and higher but not 200. Is my thinking correct on this??

Most reactions

Back