Is this any good?

battletone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am having a hard time finding a crop that I feel is balanced. Looking for an 8x10. This one comes in at 250ppi.

squirrlnut.jpg

Here is the original
squirrlnut_original.jpg

I like the lighting on #1. #2 seems a little soft to me. I also don't care for the centered subject, I would try to be a little more creative here.

they're the same picture. #1 is just cropped.
It's probably my OSX/Firefox issue... it tends to compress images making them look soft... and I can't find a setting to change it. Aggravating!

oh I dunno... I think from his title and OP, he was going for more of a "what do you think would be the best crop?" type of thing...

The only thing I recall doing to the cropped one other than cropping was a bit of sharpening.

Here is another one. I rotate it to put the grass and white rocks on the thirds and his eye and nose about as close to the third as I can get.

This one came out to 275ppi. I also adjusted the levels a bit and used the unsharpening mask a little.

Please tell me if you like the crop better and if you like the image color/contrast better.

squirrlnut2.jpg

he's still too centered in the frame for me. you need to give him room to move... otherwise it feels awkward. just my 2 cents.

I can see him scurrying off to the left or running back in that hole between the rock and whatever that brown thing is. it makes the photo look more momentary if that makes sense.

I hope you are not insulted, but I have stole your crop. That rock really does add balance to the squirrl.

Here is my first edit of a RAW file, the others were off the jpg.

This was taken in my aunts yard of the squirrl she feeds everyday. She hasn't seen the pic so I figure it will make a good gift.

squirrlnut3.jpg

If I were going to be insulted, I simply wouldn't have helped. It's a great picture. Now that I know the story, I think it's even better. I'm sure she will love it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back