Is this any good?

Abby Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm debating on purchasing something like this neutral density filter: 74mm ND8 Neutral Density Filter for Sony DSC-H50 H9 H7 - eBay (item 380130264134 end time Mar-06-10 18:11:46 PST)

But it is only around $10, which makes me wonder about its quality. The thing is, its the only kind I've found that fits my camera (Sony Cyber-shot DSC H50).

It's not like I need the best, I just want to play around and learn about using filters sometime in the future. But I don't really want absolute garbage, either.

What do you think? Remember, I am a complete beginner.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You dont have to break the bank to buy a filter, but for $10 I think it wouldnt be worth it. The photos you take with it will all be affected by the quality of that filter. I know that the Hoya Pro1 Digital filters are of a very good quality, but those usually hover around the $75-$100 mark.

Can I ask what you want the filter for?

$10 for a learner filter......I'd do it. Once you know what you're doing and get a bit more serious with it, then spend the money.

Basically, I want it to learn how to use filters. I'm having fun with long exposures at night, so I'd like to try some longer day time exposure.

I'm also interested in graduated nd filters, but I dont think they make the plate kind for my camera, which are hear are better. But they do make round ones that are cheap, and I'm debating if I should get one of those... It'll take some thinking.

I'm also interested in graduated nd filters, but I dont think they make the plate kind for my camera, which are hear are better. But they do make round ones that are cheap, and I'm debating if I should get one of those... It'll take some thinking.

The square filters fit on any lens with a holder and adapter ring that goes on the front of your lens. It's kinda like a regular filter, but it requires that adapter. You just have to find the adapter ring that fits your lens. The adapter/ring combos are usually around $25 for both pieces.

Here's some info on the square filter systems.
The Cokin Filter Systems

The Cokin filter system is quite affordable and versatile if you are willing to take the time to use it. Being able to use a square ND filter to adjust the horizon line, as well as use it as a normal ND filter makes that system pretty versatile.

Sure, 10 is cheap for a ND filter, but I would worry that the quality might not be there, and while I might be satisfied with the effect of the filter, my photo may suffer in quality. I have no basis for comparison with the particular filter, but generally I have found you get what you pay for when it comes to filters.

I've had the Cokin P Series filter system for long time now, and I love it.. You just need to find an adaptor that will fit the Sony diameter lens.. BTW, when I purchased the Cokin, I also purchased a graduated ND Filter for about $75.00 ..... I since hv purchased the ones on EBay for $10.00 - delivered, from China ... Sorry - none of my photographer friends or myself can notice any difference between the filters in the shots I've showed them.. I know there are purists out there will would disagree, but ... I actually tried a side/side comparison a couple of years ago and there was no noticable difference at all..

r

Most reactions

New Topics

Back