Is this any good?

crownlaurel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm supposed to be able to change the focus on my camera but with 6 kids on a playdate that day, I didn't bother too much with settings (otherwise my pictures would have been of my 5 year old climbing the ruins). At first I thought of throwing this picture out, but it's kind of grown on me. Is it okay to have the focus on the border and the item of interest blurred slightly? Full size it looks a little different.

Kids074.jpg

Also, on this one, I don't have photoshop, but I have Print Shop 22 photo editor that does a couple of things. That little corner of white sky....would you crop or would you clone the trees or fill with a sky color (not sure I can find a true sky color on the palate available to me)?

Kids082.jpg

Remember these are VERY amateur pics taken with an advanced P&S so be kind to me and help me learn from mistakes.

Crownlaurel

Thanks for posting this and giving me a chance to respond to it.
Let's just look at the first one because I think I can see why you liked it. - or at least why I would like it.

The background looks like an impressionistic painting, very soft, blurry, romantic. The 'real' leaves in the foreground makes the viewer realize that it is actually a real place. Nice effect.

In your original, the leaves in the front are blurry, then sharp leaves, then blurry buildings. Having something sharp in the center and framed by blurry stuff almost automatically makes me assume that the center sharp stuff is the actual center of interest - but it isn't because the leaves aren't very interesting in themselves. The sharp leaves are sort of an accent to make me realize that what I'm seeing is a romanticized building.

I would crop this to eliminate much of the foreground blurry stuff, move the sharp leaves off the center and leave them as an accent to make the point.

Am I completely off-base? It wouldn't be the first time.

kids074bbgk9.jpg

I'm supposed to be able to change the focus on my camera but with 6 kids on a playdate that day, I didn't bother too much with settings (otherwise my pictures would have been of my 5 year old climbing the ruins).

in light of this, you may want to post in the 'general' gallery and not the 'serious critique' forum. you'll get what you need there.

wow you cropped at least 30% of wasted space from it nice job... What you are doing in the second crop in my unscientific opinion is the use the elements of the image to frame the image which is a good thing in my opinion. At least i agree with the left side crop. The top and bottom in my opinon is that they leave the window hanging and a feeling of not being complete. I think the top and bottom are necessary to define the window.

Just one more opinion

in light of this, you may want to post in the 'general' gallery and not the 'serious critique' forum. you'll get what you need there.

Thanks, I didn't see that forum. I'll remember that next time. Sorry for posting in the wrong place.

These are actually pretty good. Traveler's idea of the crop is good too. I would love to see a more complete series of this shoot. So, if you can, go back, shoot some more, and post a few in the general gallery.

NJ

I still have the problem of the white sky in that corner. I'll get a chance to go back and redo with my new camera.

Hi there, I love those shots! Where do you find ruins like that :D Very cool.

Im really new to photography and just started learning how to use photoshop 4 days ago, but I'm having a blast attempting to edit things, pretty much doing whatever I can to whatever photos I have so I thought I would give this one a go, hope you dont mind, you are tagged as "My photos are OK to edit" so I hope I didnt break any rules. Anyways, here is my attempt :D

Kids082.jpg

the first 1 doesnt make any sense at all it looks almost as if you gave your camera to a 4 year old and let them take pictures with it. second 1 is...... interesting

Most reactions

New Topics

Back