Is this better? Looking for more C&C...

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Lacey Anne, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Lacey Anne

Lacey Anne TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Better than yesterdays? I did a custom WB and am working specifically on exposure and focus. Would appreciate C&C.

1/200
    f/4
    ISO 400

[​IMG]

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The left side is not sharp...I'm not sure if it's the DOF because the right side of her hair appears to be in focus.

The exposure is probably a tiny bit to the bright side (on my monitor anyway) but that tends to work well with children.

3. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have to agree with Mike,
    This is not in focus, the left side is distracting.

I tend to look at pictures left to right, so it seems odd that the left eye is out of focus but the right eye is in focus

4. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Looks out of focus to me as well but as I ahve learned uploading photos to the net can soften them if you dont know what you are doing. I constantly fight this battle. On my monitor in photoshop they look tack sharp when I upload them to my site they become soft.

I have tried everything including "save for web" but I find I never get the results I want. I see so many sites with crystal clear photos and that is how mine look on my computer but not after upload. If that is the issue here I would say its a decent shot. I like shots of childrent o be slightly oerexposed.

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I think when we look at the EXIF data, the cause of the problem is fairly obvious. An 85 mm FL, with an aperture of f4 gives a DoF of something in the order 3 1/2 inches. When you compose your shots Lacey, are you actually verifying mathematically the DoF covers the subject, or just relying on what you see in the viewfinder? Remember that while you are unlikely to notice something so mildly out of focus in the viewfinder, when it comes to the printed/screen version, it's very obvious. Get yourself some DoF tables for your lenses and verify that everything is focused before taking the shot.

6. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To answer your question, yes it is better then yesterdays shots, and if you were doing them for a client, this is more like the exposure and wb you should be aiming for.
    However, as some have said, the dof does cause it to be a little soft. At least tho, you are learning and achieving goals which is the most important thing at this point.

7. kellylindseyphotography

kellylindseyphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    can you post the SOOC lacey?? After looking at this (and others) it seems your contrast is really high too... do you do that in PP or have your camera setting to increases contrast?