TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4203043219_487c12ef12_b.jpg

Thanks....I think....

Thanks....I think....
Sorry, I'll try to help now.
Since so many people use "bokeh" in so many ways, it's difficult to answer your question.

Some mean "out of focus": Yes, these are out of focus
Some mean "the out of focus part is pretty": I personally don't think so, but if you're in to pentagons of light, then have at it.
Some mean "the quality of this lens' blur": In this case is your question, "Is this good (or quality) bokeh?" The answer to that appears to be no. Generally, good bokeh can be seen as a blurry spot with even light falloff to black. This is not at all even falloff. It just ends abruptly and may possibly even have a slight outline which also gives low quality bokeh. Also good bokeh usually means there are either more aperture blades, or at least the shape that the blades form is more circular.

Thanks all. I was a little reluctant to post the image because it isn't the greatest example.

Thanks all. I was a little reluctant to post the image because it isn't the greatest example.

Don't forget, any image you take is a "whole" image. Your subject is the main focal point, but the background is integral too. It holds colour and shapes and helps frame (or set the mood) of your composition.

The Japanese started questing for optics that produced the most creamy bokeh in the 70's. It's about the background and not the geometry of your aperture.

If you want good examples of bokeh, there was one lens that was made that is the ultimate bokeh lens. It is a dual aperture beast made by minolta back in 1999 and continues with Sony today.

If you want to see examples of the images shot in focus, to produce bokeh and to produce bokeh with the Minolta 135mm STF, visit this site.
Minolta STF 135 (1/2)

Cheers!

Most reactions

Back