is this color enlarger head worth it? or what?

thelazerviking

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
oh yeah and what is this blower that it comes with about? i've never heard of a blower

how possible would 30x45 prints from a very fine grain be with this head considering it's dichroic/diffusion? I have a condenser right now but it's actually too big to fit properly in my darkroom - one of the main reasons for getting this head.

how possible would 30x45 prints from a very fine grain be with this head considering it's dichroic/diffusion? I have a condenser right now...

It's purely up to the opinion of the viewer. Diffusion heads are slightly softer, and less contrast. Condenser heads are sharper, and higher contrast. There are pros and cons to each, and lots of other variables that will affect the final print. Obviously there are folks using each design with great success (and failure too). I only print BW these days, and prefer a condenser head. I haven't done color printing in years, but I notice that most modern color heads are diffusion, so it must be prefered for color?

i have one of these on one of my 45 enlargers. it is great piece of equipment.
the blower is used to kept the head cool as the lights are very strong and put out a lot of heat when turned on.

the dial in filters are for adjusting the color packs when using color paper, and can be used in place of black and white filters when printing black and white.

the quaility of the print size is going to be relative to the lens your using.

the age old question, which is better "cold light" or condensor head is similar to diffusion head vs condensor. Most people will not be able to tell you which enlarger made which print, especially when made by someone who knows how to print and adjust the contrast accordlying.

they are very heavy so be prepared.

hey thanks for the replies

i didn't know that the enlarger lenses made that much of a difference in printing. any reccomendations? i have three now but i haven't had the chance to use my enlarger yet as i'm still building the darkroom.

have a good day guys

yes, the lens is probably the most important piece of the chain.

the cheapest enlarger can make a terrific print, with a properly exposed negative and an outstanding lens. that is , of course it is stable and in alignment.

there are several lenses on the market today that should give great results and can be found for a very reasonable price on ebay.

apo-rodagon 2.8 lens where made for color printing, have outstanding sharpness across the fstop range and terrfic contrast.,

schenider componon lenses are outstanding, they make three grades, be sure you look at the one that is called a componon,

nikkor 6 elment lenses are also very good.

depending on who you talk with , everyone will have a favorite lens.
you need a specific focal length for each format type of film your enlarging.

that rodagon should work great with black and white as well?

i just won and paid for that head by the way. i'm excited to get it

Most reactions

Back