Is this commonly done?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ady, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Ady

Ady TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Having played with various settings taking runners I have decided upon this ploy for my next batch but just wondered if it was a frequently done method?

Having used shutter priority at 1/250-1/320 this still gave some blurring on some shots, sometimes in areas I wanted to be blurred (hands/feet) but sometimes also in faces which I did not want.

The next race I go to (I will be feet away from the runners) I am going to go for a higher shutter speed that should freeze the shot but then in PS I am going to use the lasso tool on feet & hands where applicable and use the motion blur tool to give the feel of movement/action. I don't want to use a super fast shutter speed/wide aperture/high ISO as I want some depth of field in the shot so am thinking 1/500. The pre-set sports mode seems to think I want to freeze flying golf balls. There is a pro guy that often takes shots at races and his pics are very crisp and un-blurred but very central with a very soft background and quite boring/un-action like which I want to avoid.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

2. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I would practice panning instead of trying to create the effect in Photoshop.

3. Ady

Ady TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Might try it on a few runners this weekend (there will be 300 or so) and see what effect I get - what shutter speed would you suggest for this?

4. Shockey

Shockey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Freezing the runners is the way to go. Try 200-250 if you want just a slight movement.
    Do not try to fake it.

5. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    For panning it's all going to be on how fast your runner is moving. You're probably going to be in 1/30th speeds to be honest. Otherwise you are going to end up freezing the action, instead of blurring everything but the runner.

6. Ady

Ady TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    But with PS you get the motion blur that suits the shot with facial features sharp as a pin and it does not look false if you are picky with your shot and careful with the lasso tool/blur factor. I have found shooting at 250, even 320 can blur the face hence my 1/500+PS attempt. A shot of a runner frozen at 1/1000 gives nothing as far as action emotion goes for me.......

7. Ady

Ady TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for that - I will try on several shots and see what I get.