Is this considered blasphemy?

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a large lot of film camera stuff, including a Minolta XG-7 auto-exposure SLR that needs some work. I have to rip into it to either fix some contacts or replace a capacitor (or both) to get it working properly, and in addition to that, the leather's shrunk quite a bit. And I mean quite a bit. So I was thinking... Is it considered sacrilegious to put something like red vinyl in place of the black... "leather"? Not sure if I'm keeping it since I can't exactly test it at the moment (shutter speeds are all kinds of wonky), so I was wondering what you guys thought in case I do decide to list it.

It's a Minolta XG-7...even WORKING on one of these beasts, in an effort to revive it and bring it back to the land of the working, is worthy of nomination for sainthood. Restoring the health of a Minolta XG-7 and also giving it a new suit of clothes is will surely entitle you to canonization once you've left this Earth for the Big Darkroom in the sky.

If you aren't being completely sarcastic, I appreciate it. If you are, then :lol: But really, mild camera restoration has become a bit of a hobby to fund my hobby, though if I do manage to get this one working and decide to sell, I'm probably not gonna recover what I put into it, I'd bet.

Edit: Wouldn't I be canonized for my recent restoration of a Canon A-1? :mrgreen::mrgreen::meh:

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement. Looks like a trip to the fabric store for me... :lol: and guys, some of those cameras are gorgeous. My mind is made up-I'm doing this.

Good luck with restoration. And if you will not be successful with bringing it to life, let me know. I will send you XG9 in working condition and good covering for $10. OK ? :)

Timor, that sounds like a great deal. If it somehow falls prey to the "I can't put it back together" bug (I've had a few projects go down that road), I will most definitely take you up on that. Thanks!

Derrel, I actually found that page earlier and have been seriously considering the red goat skin for my SRT-101. It looks amazing on there. Depending on what happens here, I may give that a shot, since the SRT-101 is a permanent fixture here-given to me by my wife's uncle.

Recovering cameras is a popular thing. I've never heard of anyone objecting to it. If it were a rare & valuable collector's item then there probably would be a reason not to do it but not for most cameras.

Yea, if it was a Leica, then blasphemy, but on the Minolta, just fooling around.

Go for it.

Go for that re-skinning. Go for the most outrageous covering you can afford. Such a camera might be a great conversation piece and makes contact with people easier.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back