Is this how sharp my pictures should be?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by DerekSalem, May 11, 2010.

1. DerekSalem

DerekSalem TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Alright...I made this thread the other day but never actually submitted is because I didn't have time to upload certain things. I'm currently using the Canon Rebel T2i and my main lens is the 70-200 f/4L IS. While I love this lens and body, I'm not 100% certain my pictures are coming out as sharp as maybe they should be. I'd like to put a few of my pictures here in this thread and have everyone check them out if they could.

I'll post the Flickr "Large" image and then link to the full size version (so you can check out the ones you'd like to without having to load them all). If you think they're not quite as sharp as they should be I could really use advice to figure out what the problem might be.

Also: I have most of the settings at standard (I use Manual only with Highlight Tone Priority off, all pictures taken at Large Jpeg, Evaluative or Spot Metering, Auto Lighting Optimizer at Standard, sRGB color space, Standard picture style/format, no custom WB, Long Exposure Noise Reduction at Auto, High ISO speed noise reduction at Standard (but almost never use ISO above 1600))

All are originals with no editing done (except the final one).
    [​IMG]
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3617/4599710510_5d48eea717_o.jpg

[​IMG]
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2762/4533129039_a6e48f1b5b_o.jpg

[​IMG]
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4524556274_f2fcf77c68_o.jpg

[​IMG]
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4035/4523943513_02955ee233_o.jpg

And then one picture *AFTER* editing (sharpened, contrast and levels changed, etc...)
    [​IMG]
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1349/4599694880_325e6ebbd0_o.jpg

2. DerekSalem

DerekSalem TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just realized the final picture had to be cut down in quality a bit because it was over Flickr's 20Mb limit. Rest are fine tho

3. Dallmeyer

Dallmeyer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wondering which AF mode you used, particularly for the speaker and the polarbear? Could be relevant.

4. DerekSalem

DerekSalem TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Center single point at all times. I very rarely use anything else

5. Dallmeyer

Dallmeyer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i was wondering whether you use single shot AF or continuous tracking AF..if Mr Keynote is rocking on his heels enunciating and the polarbear's mooching about...

6. DerekSalem

DerekSalem TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Almost always single shot and I'm guessing single shot for all of these pictures

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm I don't know about those incamera noise control settings (I don't have them with my 400D) nor how or what they do but there could be something linked to them. The best way is to cut out the incamera editing and do some RAW shots - that would at least give you a base level image to work from an then you can do noise and sharpening yourself.
    Remember even a JEPG will often benefit more fine tuned sharpening in editing. ISO 1600 is going to lose you quality as well - ISO 100 in the polarbear does not look bad; but I've only my 400D to base things off and I am not as used to looking at fullsize images from a larger MP count.

8. DerekSalem

DerekSalem TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well in the T2i ISO1600 isn't really harsh at all. It's almost directly comparable to ISO800 on previous models (including your 400D). Even 3200 is still superior to the 1600 on the previous lines.

Shooting in RAW generally yields about the same results. When cropped 100% it either just looks unsmooth or pixelated. That's why I linked the full-size versions...when you zoom in it's somewhat easy to see the flaws whereas I've seen pictures from this model camera that look smooth and detailed at 100% crop (not perfectly, but still completely acceptable).