Is this Just Another Pretty Picture?

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by matthew robertson, Sep 13, 2004.

1. matthew robertson

matthew robertson TPF Noob!

2. Maven

Maven TPF Noob!

I like this picture. However, I wish it was just a touch brighter so we can make out more of the objects on the deck. I like the reflection off the deck, kind of unusual to see on surfaces as such. The people in the bg give the shot some personality. All in all, brightness kills the image.

3. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

Obviously your intended subject is the sunset, but there are too many other miss-placed elements that contend with the sunset. Even the sunset is miss-placed. The image would work better if the sun had been placed so as to be more in agreement with the rule of thirds rather than in the center of the frame. You could probably enhance the image's composition with Cloning and croping

4. BrettG

BrettG TPF Noob!

That one light in the center of the picture is really annoying. Actually, all of them are kinda annoying, but if the one in the center was gone I think it'd help this picture a lot.

5. matthew robertson

6. Maven

Maven TPF Noob!

Yeah that is a bit better, but I agree with Brett even more now. That light in the middle of the picture is very annoying. Its a focal point when it shouldn't be, and that is what I was trying to say about the two people. They are focal points as well. I think this photo is too busy in general. Sorry man.

7. thenewhcb

thenewhcb TPF Noob!

You might want to invest in a monitor calibrator for color matching. But the picture is much better now.

8. Maven

Maven TPF Noob!

Oh, and just so ya know, us Canadian's should stick together lol.

9. thenewhcb

thenewhcb TPF Noob!

Oh and by the way, the cold tone of the lighting makes the picture very visually beautiful

10. Maven

Maven TPF Noob!

Agreed, the tones and colors are captured well.

11. matthew robertson

Thanks very much, I needed that.

On vacation, taking a cruise to Alaska, I got up REALLY early to try to capture the sunrise. Did you notice the clouds in the photo? It didn't work out. This was taken after about 45 minutes in the bitter wind, literally as I was walking through the door to find some hot chocolate. I glanced back, saw the light, and took one frame. (My EiR was still annoyed by the delay.) The original had the horizon off by about 10 degrees, was underexposed, and as you correctly pointed out, badly composed. I suppose it's just a 'moment in time' shot that appeals to me for being there.

The figure in the far right is hosing down the teak deck, hence the reflection. While I wish I had shot from between the lights, minimizing the one in front, I like the effect the different light source provides. If I could just shift the entire frame over by about 1/3....

12. 2Stupid2Duck

2Stupid2Duck TPF Noob!

Well here's my take - for what it's worth.

I'd photo shop out the wires at the top of the pic (I think they are party lights) because they don't add anything to the shot. Then I'd darken the deck chairs and stuff until they are only sihlouettes (not selecting the reflection on the floor tho - leave it dark but still visible). The overall effect I am looking for is more like the top shot but with distractions removed.

Just my humble.