Is this lens worth saving?

yonner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Sigma 1:2.8 28-105 aspherical lens that is causing my Rebel Xti to give an error message.I am not sure where this lens lies as far as quality goes.Is it worth spending a couple of hundred dollars (estimate)to fix?I bought it new probably eight years ago,it has been lightly used.

A couple HUNDRED? NO. Sell it off if it will actually cost that much.Let it become somebody else's issue to deal with--if the repair price is being quoted is from SIGMA itself.

Can SIGMA Corp. not repair it with a new chip, to make it compatible with newer, digital cameras? This is a VERY COMMON Problem with older Sigma AF lenses--they give an Err message on boatloads of newer Canon models. Who is quoting the repair estimate price??? Send it to SIGMA, Canada, for an estimate on the CPU upgrade, and see what the cost will be.

A couple HUNDRED? NO. Sell it off if it will actually cost that much.Let it become somebody else's issue to deal with--if the repair price is being quoted is from SIGMA itself.

Can SIGMA Corp. not repair it with a new chip, to make it compatible with newer, digital cameras? This is a VERY COMMON Problem with older Sigma AF lenses--they give an Err message on boatloads of newer Canon models. Who is quoting the repair estimate price??? Send it to SIGMA, Canada, for an estimate on the CPU upgrade, and see what the cost will be.

The lens has worked on this camera until last week so it is compatible.My local camera store will send it to Sigma,as i understand it I will put $200 up front, with a possibility of paying more (my choice) if necessary.Is the lens worth it?

I think when you can find them for sale online they run about $200 or less, so putting the full value or more into the repair of a lens would not make much sense to me. There are plenty of lenses now that are optimzed for digital shooting that you can get for your Xti. I would shop around some to see what alternatives are out there.

I think it's time for you to get a new (better) lens.

I think it's time for you to get a new (better) lens.

It has been sent to Sigma for a quote.I have decided that I will spend up to $200,having seen how much a (not better) but comparable lens would cost.Only three months warranty on a repair though which is disappointing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back