Is This Normal Pricing?

sorry to hear that. thats lame. if you don't mind me asking, what market audience are you trying to get where a website isnt a good idea? lol not bashing, just wondering

Hi Everyone

As a 20 year wedding veteran, his prices are definitely in line for running a business. Before we "retired" from wedding photography, we were well into the 5 figure level with each wedding.

You also can't judge a photographer by his website. A wedding photographer is so much more than someone who just shows up and shoots. He can end up being the wedding coordinator and the time keeper. His personality has to mesh with everyone there, as he will be connecting with everyone as he moves through the day.

A good wedding photographer is actually part of the entertainment in some aspects. He (she) keeps things running smoothly, orchestrates when things will take place, and actually helps make the party a complete success.

Even before we converted to digital, and were shooting with film, we would have guests come up to us telling us how beautiful the photographs were - and they hadn't seen a thing. But they enjoyed how smooth everything ran, how much we kept the party on track and really allowed the bride and groom to enjoy the day by not manipulating their time.

If you can learn the art form of weddings, you can do VERY well in the industry.

Commercial. At the risk of sounding like a snob, I would even say high end commercial. One of the client/friend who is investing in my studio represents one of the major tire manufacturers. The other one represents major artists in the music world.

It's not so much that a website isn't a good idea as that I don't see what it would do for me and in the meantime, it's another expense. From my past experience and from talking to different friends recently, buyers in that market don't resort to the yellow pages or surf the web in search of photogs. Word of mouth and networking is how it seems to work mostly.

But, one never knows. I could find out that there is a use for it...

While I have been reading and researching how to be successful in this 'business' I have taken a look at local market pricing and the 'cost' of the wedding. I'm a newbie and hate to admit this, but I paid that amount for my wedding photos and they sucked. I didn't get nearly the prints that he is offering, nor did I get a photo cd and rights to them (however it was back in the day when they used film still). So, maybe I'm the only one who wonders how he could afford a 2nd photographer and all those prints for under 4k? And I got married in Flint, MI...

for the level of the pics he is displaying in his gallery his prices better be in pesos.

I am not a wedding photographer by choice, I have shot a few and hated it. Too much stress. First you have to spend time with the couple to find out what there looking for, then you have to find out where you are going to be taking pictures, and if you have not shot there you will need to check the place out, for lighting background and things like that. After you have done your home work the day of the shoot you better be ready because you only get one chance. If the picture did not turn out there no saying can you stop I need to take that picture again. You are either loved by your client or hated. In portrait photography they my buy your picture even if it not the greatest in the world. In wedding photography if they don’t love them you may not get paid or you may find your self in court.

Commercial. At the risk of sounding like a snob, I would even say high end commercial. One of the client/friend who is investing in my studio represents one of the major tire manufacturers. The other one represents major artists in the music world.

It's not so much that a website isn't a good idea as that I don't see what it would do for me and in the meantime, it's another expense. From my past experience and from talking to different friends recently, buyers in that market don't resort to the yellow pages or surf the web in search of photogs. Word of mouth and networking is how it seems to work mostly.

But, one never knows. I could find out that there is a use for it...

So where can we go to see your work. If you are the great artist you say you are your name would have to be some where on the internet. From your nick name I would say you are a sky diver or mountain climber. I’m sure some one has one of your pictures posted I would really like to see your work

Well I hate to re-open a dead thread, especially when it is ripping on my work, but I like you feel I must...

Since I know everyone has there own opinion I am not about to try to defend my work to those that don't like it. The fact that I am still in business and doing fairly well says quite a bit in this bad year for many of the wedding photographers in my area. Since this thread has started I have not only been able to raise my prices, I am surviving while others are not.

Having multiple national award winning prints via PPA, and my recent cover on one of the top wedding magazines in our area, I know I'm not all that bad... As for my pricing, I am a mid-priced photographer in my area and know and shoot with some of the best and some of the worst. If your bottom package is less than $1k then you are in no way supporting yourself by this business alone, your a Craigslist weekend warrior. The top in my area start their pricing around $4k so I feel I'm perfectly in-line for now.

Now that you have your victim here, questions anyone???

Since I know everyone has there own opinion I am not about to try to defend my work to those that don't like it...

...Having multiple national award winning prints via PPA, and my recent cover on one of the top wedding magazines in our area, I know I'm not all that bad...

seems like you came in to defend your work. this thread is so old and i have since decided to not shoot weddings. it sounds very stressful (for which i give you props) and all i was asking when i started the thread was if the prices you charge are acceptable for what you were producing. that's all.

i am 100% sure you are a better photographer than me. at the time of starting the thread, i was in a different mindset i guess i was arrogant and whatnot. i have changed my view of photography and a lot of other stuff too. i was in no way trying to say you were overcharging and sucked. sorry if it came across that way. maybe one day i will see your work in my area.

Well I hate to re-open a dead thread, especially when it is ripping on my work, but I like you feel I must...

Since I know everyone has there own opinion I am not about to try to defend my work to those that don't like it. The fact that I am still in business and doing fairly well says quite a bit in this bad year for many of the wedding photographers in my area. Since this thread has started I have not only been able to raise my prices, I am surviving while others are not.

Having multiple national award winning prints via PPA, and my recent cover on one of the top wedding magazines in our area, I know I'm not all that bad... As for my pricing, I am a mid-priced photographer in my area and know and shoot with some of the best and some of the worst. If your bottom package is less than $1k then you are in no way supporting yourself by this business alone, your a Craigslist weekend warrior. The top in my area start their pricing around $4k so I feel I'm perfectly in-line for now.

Now that you have your victim here, questions anyone???

:hail:

Dont defend your work to yet another person who has picked up a DSLR for the first time, has probably taken 1 good image and then thinks he can compete.
Most of the good photographers are leaving this forum for this reason.

For "I'm thinking of becoming a wedding photographer" you should read "I have just bought my first DSLR"

For "these pics are awsome" you should read "They are out of focus but I'm a newbie who just wants to post something and I have no real clue anyway"

For "I think that I can take equally good images for a lot less money" you should read "I'm going to be looking to get my old job back in three months time but in the meantime I will call myself a wedding photographer and starve"

For "I'm thinking of doing some weddings, what lenses should I use" please read "I'm an idiot"

Yes, its all been said on here.

What is really sad is that there are some truely brilliant photogs on here, who we can all learn off but are fed up of all of this and can no longer be bothered to post....... or leave

Well I don't live in a major city anymore, but I've lived in 2 big metro area on both coasts and I think that his pricing is on the cheap side for wedding packages compared to what I've seen and what the photographers I knew in both places usually charge for those. 3-5K is not unusual here and this is a much smaller town compared to someplace near NY. I'm not qualified to critique his work so I won't go there but as for having a website that's okay by me. Word of mouth is great, but having a portfolio online is sensible if you ask me.

Dont defend your work to yet another person who has picked up a DSLR for the first time, has probably taken 1 good image and then thinks he can compete.

For "I'm thinking of becoming a wedding photographer" you should read "I have just bought my first DSLR"

For "these pics are awsome" you should read "They are out of focus but I'm a newbie who just wants to post something and I have no real clue anyway"

For "I think that I can take equally good images for a lot less money" you should read "I'm going to be looking to get my old job back in three months time but in the meantime I will call myself a wedding photographer and starve"

For "I'm thinking of doing some weddings, what lenses should I use" please read "I'm an idiot"

What is really sad is that there are some truely brilliant photogs on here, who we can all learn off but are fed up of all of this and can no longer be bothered to post....... or leave

are you saying that i just picked up my first dslr and have only had one good image? i dont get the point of your post?

:headbang:

Wait a minute... aww sh!t, I think I am one of those... Naaa, I just like capturing nice shots for me.

That was a good one though. I LIKE it!

Most reactions

Back