Is this on the sensor???

chocolate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

i keep getting this " hair" like thing on my landscape photos.

i already blown and cleaned the filter on the lens. and also the outer glass of the lens. I am sure it is not on lens.. as i have interchanged lens to find the source.

It appears on all my long exposure landscape photos.. when i use f 8 onwards and exposure more than 3 seconds.

the dust doesnt appear on my fast lens ..when i do my street shooting.

could it be on the sensor or the mirror?? if it is .. can i clean it myself ??

any guys,, can help??

thanks in advance.

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

From your description it is definitely on the highpass filter or equivalent on your camera. Bulbing doesnt always work. But usually you will need to do something like this...
1. Lock up shutter.
2. Bulb like a madman in a fairly clean enviroment. (Using a clean bulb need I add.)
3. Test exposure. (f/22 at a blank surface for 5 sec.)
4. Didnt move.
5. Repeat 1
6. Repeat 2.
7. Hair moved 1/1000000000 of a millimeter.
8 Rinse and repeat. ( DO NOT RINSE YOUR CAMERA NO MATTER WHAT THE TEMPTATION.) <-- This by the way is by way of an attempt at humor. Someone laugh politely please.

Other wise look into a sensor cleaning kit.

btw, there is another one just above the cloud bank on the extreme left in the first image. And another left and lower of the large hair, just right of center.

Last edited:
not on the mirror, since the mirror swings up when you take the picture and is out of the way.

but this is most likely on the sensor, in particular if you say f/8 and beyond.

i suppose with your fast lens you use f/2.8 or f/4 ? try it with your fast lens shooting the sky at f/16. .. if it appears then, it is definitely on the sensor.

It looks too well in focus to be on the rear element of the lens, so it should be the sensor.

if i do this

3. Test exposure. (f/22 at a blank white surface for 5 sec.)

anything than white.. would be considered as dust.. am i on the right track?

Generally speaking yes. ALthough, depending on your camera and ISO settings (set it to 100) if you zoom in enough you will start to see artifacts and that can mess with your eyes.

if i do this

3. Test exposure. (f/22 at a blank white surface for 5 sec.)

anything than white.. would be considered as dust.. am i on the right track?

best if you are totally out of focus.

well, anything giving a strong contrast and looks like dirt, is dirt ;)

That's an awfully big piece of sensor dust, but it does seem like that's what it is. If that's the case, this product: http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=3 while pricey is an excellent piece of kit and IMHO, essential for any digital photographer with a DSLR. (No I don't work for them)

I agree, that would fit the criteria to be dust on the sensor. It shows up more when you use a smaller aperture because the DOF is deeper, which means that it's more in focus and more defined. It's still there with large apertures but it's so OOF that you can't see it.

Most reactions

Back