is this pic overexposed?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by DScience, May 18, 2009.

1. DScience

DScience New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Hello all...I took this over the weekend. I cant decide if the following pic is correctly exposed. Please let me know what you think (C&C welcome obviously).

[​IMG]
  2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2,940 / 0
    I see a few hot areas on the shot - but nothing distracting (the most is that little bit of bar that is all white) but its not detracting from the flower image.
    I would say though that chair/bench you were sitting on is not giving a good frame and I (personally) would have left it out of the shot and either ignored or made more use of the small railings in the shot.

If you need to check in field on the LCD read up in your manual about the camera histogram - its a fantastic tool when used right!
    more info: Histograms - Part I
  3. paigegreen916

paigegreen916 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    whatever anyone else says, it 100% a matter of your own personal style. (personally, I think the the image looks lovely. very vibrant and colorful) if you think its too bright, try a different look next time.
  4. DScience

DScience New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    thanks both of you. I know about the histogrAm, and agree about the personal preference...but after reading "understanding exposure", I was under the impression that there is a 'correct exposure' to all pictures.
  5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4,074 / 1
    I opened the image in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). Most of the flowers are somewhat overexposed and clipped in the red channel. That's not to surprising considering their color.

With digital images ensuring the highlights are not clipped is the paramount goal because once clipped the detail is not recoverable. Blocked shadows are of far less concern.

What image editing software do you have available that you could use to quanitatively, rather than qualitativly, evaluate the exposure of your images?

As far as C&C, I find the OOF bench in the foreground distracting but the hoops make a nice secondary element that complements the flowers.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2,940 / 0
    after reading that book you should understand that a part of that correct exposure (infact the greatest part) is the image you wanted out of it at the start - taking into account any limitations present on taking the shot in the first place (gear, lighting, setup, angle etc...)
  7. DScience

DScience New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Kmh...thank you. I have cs3, pe 7, lightroom 2, and aperture 2 :0)

Can you explain a lil more what you mean?
  8. DScience

DScience New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    What I got from the book was, there is alwAys a correct exposure. The part I think you're talking about is the fact that most images have multiple wAys to be correctly exposed, it's up to YOU ( the photog ) to make it a 'creative exposure'. (correct me if I am wrong)
  9. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4,904 / 0
    How did you meter the shot?
  10. DScience

DScience New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    I metered the bright yellow flower in focus, then stepped back to frame the shot.
  11. GeneralBenson

GeneralBenson New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Pearl Street?
  12. DScience

DScience New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Yes sir! I went Saturday afternoon and was shocked at the amazing arrangement of beautiful, unusual flowers. I had to go back, and ended up doing the same thing Sunday; only at 7:30, utilizing the beautiful morning light!
  13. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4,904 / 0
    I like the crop KmH did. I did find the bench distracting. To my eye, it looks like a good exposure, just harsh lighting. But it's tough, because I really like the how the tulips glow from within. Will you post a shot from Sunday morning?
  14. ANDS!

ANDS! New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The luminosity channel is NOT the same as the individual color channels in a histogram. I don't doubt the red channel is clipped to the right, but thats a whole hell of a lot better than your luminosity values being clipped to the right.
  15. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    my short answer is no.

i think your exposure is good...youve got brilliant colors in there!

i like the shot!:thumbup:
  16. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4,074 / 1
    A qualitative evaluation of your exposures is, "That looks about right." A quantitative evaluation of your exposures is, "The RGB value of that highlight is 247, so that's blown for sure."

You have ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) in all your Adobe software. You can also open JPEGS and TIFFs in ACR too.

In ACR put your cursor on the triangle on the exposure slider. Hold down the Alt key and left click on the triangle. The image will go black. If nothing is overexposed the image will be completely black. Any channels with clipped highlights will show up: blue for clipping in the blue channel, red for clipping the red channel......white for clipping all 3 RGB channels.

Now, while you hold down the Alt key you can move the slider to the right till you start to see some clipping. Move the slider back to the left till the clipping indicator is gone and you are at the maximum exposure for that image.

You can do the same with the Blacks slider.

There is another way to check the exposure value of both highlights and shadows.

With an image open in Photoshop, above the image click on Window>Info. A box will open on screen. the left side will show RGB values where ever your cursor is on the image. I use a precision setting for my cursor in preferences. Place the cursor on a highlight. RGB values that are above 245 are considered blown but some detail may be recoverable by several techniques if it's only 1 channel above 245. If all 3 RGB values are at 250 or more no detail is left even though 255 is the maximum value.

With shadows anything less than 45 is considered blocked (no detail), the same as clipped highlights.

Hope that's useful for you.