Is this possible?

You could do a single flash (corded) strobist setup for $200 but for a decent two light setup you're probably looking closer to $400 and that's without radio triggers, you'd have to go hard wired with cord.

MPEX Strobist Kits

You could try the used market or eBay and maybe get something for around $300 but I'm guessing it's not going to be quality stuff.

The 3 strobist rigs in my Gear List easily cost me over $1,000.

Last edited:
The most expensive part is probably the flashes. So if you can find some cheap ones, that will really help. There are a ton of older flashes to be found on E-bay or wherever...although you would have to compete will all the other 'cheap strobists' for them, which has driven the price of them up a lot higher than they used to be.

I've got a box of old flashes, some of them work, some don't. I always look for them at garage sales or flea markets etc.

Is it possible to get a strobist-style setup with two flashes for under $200? What about $300?`

You could do it for $300 on ebay. The problem with ebay is the stands / umbrella's, etc.. the shipping cost. You have to look hard for the ones not pulling the inexpensive item cost, jack the shipping up stores.

But you could do 2 flashes, 2 stands, 2 umbrellas, 2 flash mounts / swivels, and even 2 radio triggers. I think the radio triggers help as you don't have to have flashes with pc syncs, or dedicated to your camera's hot shoe. They just need a hot shoe firing system (most all do). So with wireless triggers your open to many used or new third party flashes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back