Is this right???

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D40. I recently purchased a flash for it, the flash is made by image? See image below
537908845_31241c7bf6.jpg

It works fine, voltage is fine, I've check all that.

The thing I'm finding strange is, from time to time, like when a pic is last minute, wasn't planning on taking it, but was a spur of the moment, I throw it on auto, the strange thing is, when i half hit the button for focus, instead of registering that i'm using an external flash, the built in tries to pop up, BUT then the external flash is still what flashes... is this normal????

Try using the program setting instead of using the green auto setting. With program the flash will not pop up unless you want it to.

Try using the program setting instead of using the green auto setting. With program the flash will not pop up unless you want it to.

the program settings it does, the manual settings it doesnt, because the manual settings I have to turn on the flash or not.

my thought it more for my wife, who doesnt know how to, nor wants to use the manual settings, she just keeps it on auto, which is fine caues she just takes pictures of flowers and the cat. is it normal for the flash to still pop up even though the external flash is in the shoe?

It might be a compatibility issue with the D40's firmware. Check with the manufacturer to see if they certify it for use with the D40 in particular, and if they do, inform them of the issues you've been having with the flash unit. They may be able to suggest a solution.

I think you need to try this again. On Nikon cameras (I guess I am not youtally familiar with the D40 so this may not be the case) you have a "P" setting the icon fro this matches all the others and you have an "Auto" setting this will generaly be green. Usually, one of the main differences here is the flash will not pop up with the "P" setting but will with the "Auto" setting so hence the "P" setting gives you a little more control.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back