Is this worth $200?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by BLD_007, Oct 14, 2009.

1. BLD_007

BLD_007 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

fixed

Someone is trying to sell it to me

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I think we can't see it as the image is being linked from inside your googlemail account - and since that is a private and passworded area for you alone the image won't link out.

3. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    no

4. JamesMason

JamesMason TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    no, if it was $2 it might be a good purchase, to use as a door stop

5. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For that price it may be worth buying 4 to use as legs on a coffee table.

6. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would pay $10 just to break it........

7. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    To give an idea the base lens is 650mm long with an f stop of f8 - and that is fixed, so you can neither open it up wider nor stop it down further should you so desire. That makes it a slow lens at 650mm long.
    It gets to the 1300mm by adding a 2*Teleconverter which doubles its focal length, takes away 2 stops of light (so now f16) and significantly reduces image quality.

The base lens itself is little more than a long distance landscape lens at f8 and its overall optical quality is very poor. The 2*TC is almost a total waste as it will really soften the overall image and at f16 your going to need some seriously bright lighting or have long exposures.

8. jbylake

jbylake Dodging the Men in Black Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Glad to see an informed answer...answer's such as "no", or "I'd...break it" are worthless to people who come here to find answer's from experienced people...I assume the rest either don't really know, or don't feel the obligation to answer a question, but will post an answer just to bump their post count/ reputation, although they offer nothing to the knowledge base of this forum, or help the person with a legitimate question. And I hope I shamed those stupid answers such as "use as table leg's" and the rest, to hold their tongues if they have nothing to offer. Aside from jokes, etc...humor...these type of answers should take away credibility of the poser...er...I mean poster..

I'd rather see a well intentioned, misguided or wrong answer than something as stupid as some of these answers...

J.:er:

9. vandy1821

vandy1821 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    WOW you have not been on many forums have you. The person asked worth $200 ? and they said NO get over yourself dude the question asked was answered.:mrgreen:

10. JamesMason

JamesMason TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    its worthless because;

a) its made by a company called opteka
    b) its f8 - f16 !!!
    c) its made by a company called opteka

If you would like me to detail intricacies like secondary lateral chromatic aberration i would be happy to oblige

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I did a quick search. Here's a thread on another forum, ridiculing the lens even more mercilessly than here. Opteka 650-1300mm - Opinions? - DPChallenge Forums

In the thread, an actual owner of the lens says its IQ "sucks", and then goes on to prove it with links to four moon photographs. This lens sells for $219 brand new, today,so as a used no-brand lens, it's worth $75, tops.

If you want something long, light,portable, and "halfway" decent, look for a a fixed focal length,all-glass Quantaray or Phoenix 500mm f/8 with a T-mount and the adapter of your choice (Canon-Nikon-Pentax,etc). These are usually sold with an included 2x teleconverter, making a 1000mm f/11 lens. The problem with this 650-1300 thing is how BIG and unwieldy it is--the 500mm long-focus (not true tele, just long focus) pre-set diaphragm models are actually quite light,and shoot okay off of a monopod or tripod.

12. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know if the quantary are but another ultra cheap option are mirror lenses. They are typically small and light (for 500mm options) and work by a mirror setup. However they are again not as optically good as proper 500mm primes but are decent enough. Their biggest downside is that they tend to always cause highlights in background areas to have a strange doughnut shape to them - this is very noticable and a feature of all mirror lenses.
    The only counter I have seen is to shoot lowkey - that is with a flash (typically) to light the subject correctly whilst having the rest of the shot underexposed into blackness.