IS worth $271.05?

End Game

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielswebpage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm buying a lens soon and I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm going to get an IS lens, and I'm hitting a huge roadblock. The same lens I want without the IS is $271.05 cheaper:shock:. Should I get the IS?

Here is the lens models and the two sites I'm comparing. I couldn't believe how low Adorama is, and yes I know the IS is out of stock but I'm willing to wait, and no Adorama doesn't have the one with IS. I wish it did, I'd probably wind up getting it

Models: EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM

Sites, Respectively: http://www.digitaletc.com/item.php?ref=fr&productid=3659
http://www.adorama.com/CA75300AF2UR.html?sid=11892088302092573

Keep in mind, the second link you posted went to a refurbished lens, not a new one. For me IS is a personal choice that needs to be made based on what you shoot and your abilities. I don't own and IS lens, but then I shoot a lot of sports or have a tripod on hand. I'm kinda old school, but it works just fine for me. You need to decide for your self if will help with what you shoot.

Good advice, and I'll prob wind up going without IS. And I know it's refurbished but I highly trust Adorama.

Ok, just wanted to make sure you were aware that one was a refurb. That will lower the price. Good luck.

Good advice, and I'll prob wind up going without IS. And I know it's refurbished but I highly trust Adorama.
I'm glad to hear that. I just ordered my first IS lens (EF-S 17-85) from them and am awaiting delivery. As to the value of IS, it's worth a lot to me. When I travel I shoot urban scenes at night without flash a lot and it's going to make a big difference there. Also I'll be shooting out of the window of a light aircraft (see avator, taken with a P&S), which bumps around a bit sometimes. The new LCD preview feature on the 40D will help greatly in that context as well. It all depends on your mission ....

I usually found that the IS version of Canon's lenses is quite handy. Especially for hand-held shots. On a faster lens, I would say choose the non-IS...but for a f/4.5-5.6 low-light may be more of a factor if you do not have a tripod handy. The 70-300 IS is alright. I found it really drains the battery quickly and the AF was slow and noisy. Older version of IS anyway. I ended returning mine and getting the EF 70-200 f/4 L. Sacrifice zoom, but more than made up for in build and image quality.

Most reactions

Back