ISO 1600 Canon 5D MkI (No Typo)

McQueen278

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently printed this at 18x24 and I was just so astounded by the lack of noise overall and the deep blacks. I desaturated the photo just a tad before printing it to get a better skin tone, because I had it set too high in camera but that was it. No noise software, no sharpening, shot in Jpeg, resized and sent to print. I wasn't expecting these kind of results at all otherwise I would have shot in RAW, but I don't think it really hurt me that much in this instance. Just, wow! I love my 5D. If anyone was wondering, this is Seth Bernard and Daisy May. They are Michigan folk singers and worth a good hard listen!

daisy may
Seth Bernard

3285368709_ef1ca9ba6b_b.jpg

3286190398_6ef0a63445_b.jpg

No no no everyone knows the only way to really know if your picture was good or not is to examine the noise under a magnifying glass when zoomed to 100%.

Actually printing or viewing images at a normal size are not in the spirit of photography :er:

i see noise on the guys shirt or is that just a really cheap shirt?

i see noise on the guys shirt or is that just a really cheap shirt?

Surely you are joking, right? Do you know where to look for noise in photos?

Those are fantastic, especially for straight out of camera JPEG's. The technology may be old, but its still a damn fine camera!

ISO 1600 has always been an attainable goal with cameras other than a D3 or D700. All it takes is nailing the exposure and your camera will do it's best and in most cases when this is done, one has a very usable picture.

D200's are not known as being very clean, yet they (as well as other cameras) too can perform adequately when needed at that ISO level as well:

2966190055_ea174f6909.jpg

The kudos should not go to your camera, but yourself for understanding and doing what was needed to get some very nice results from your camera under challenging circumstances. ;)

No no no everyone knows the only way to really know if your picture was good or not is to examine the noise under a magnifying glass when zoomed to 100%.

Actually printing or viewing images at a normal size are not in the spirit of photography :er:

:lol: Point very well made.

Montana is right on, look at the perfectly clear, noiseless black background, it is obviously not noise on the shirt

Nice shots, I'm glad to see this post; people really underestimate the print quality that can be attained at High iso, even on a camera that's a bit older.

McQueen, If you like Folk Music, Check out Mark Dvorak. He's a folk singer who grew up with my parents, and lives in Chicago.

Here's his website. Mark Dvorak Home Page

You can fine him on Myspace and iTunes also.

The 5D Classic is a VERY capable camera even given its age. I've seen guys shooting 5D's getting astounding images. It will go down in history as one of the best cameras ever, I'm sure. :)

Here's a sample shot I made for another thread showing what the 5DMk2 can do. Shot at ISO 3200, RAW, converted to JPG and posted - no editing at all.

488413995_TFrKZ-L.jpg

Here's a much larger version so you can check things out up close.

LINK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back