ISO: Copyright Info?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by bellacat, Dec 26, 2007.

1. bellacat

bellacat TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I want to be able to give a copy of copyright info to my clients but I am not sure what my rights are as a photographer and what I can or should be telling them. I have seen as little as a sticker on the back of some pro Photo prints but I feel I should have something more. After seeing AllSmiles welcome packet I now realize there is a lot missing that I should be giving to clients and a model release form just isn't enough. I am in the state of California if that makes any difference.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction? TIA

2. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not sure exactly your question.

What are you wanting to clear up with the client?
    You are making sure that they don't expect to be able to print them, and you can use them for whatever purpose?
    Then a copyright waiver kind of thing and a model release should be enough..

But I'm not sure what your question is exactly. Be more specific.

3. bellacat

bellacat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    sorry about that i guess my question was not clear enough. What I am trying to do is find out what my rights I have as a photographer when it comes to copywrites. I want to then be able to let my clients know what they can and can not do when it comes to their printed photos or CDs

Right now I just have a model release that i give my clients but I don't have any kind of print out telling them about any kinds of copyrights with my photos. I don't even have a sticker to place on the backs of photos with stuff saying its illegal to make scans or reprints of the photos. Honestly I don't even know if there are specific laws that state some kind of punishment if a person is caught making copies of my photos without permission. I would like to put something more that a (C) on the back with my biz name and be able to inform my clients of the my copyrights in a printed form which they will have to sign saying they read it.

Does this make more sense?

4. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes that does make more sense, If yot wish to maintain your copyright that sticker you mentioned along with the statement thay you retain your rights in the contract will be sufficient. That sticker will prevent any professional printers from making copies with out your written consent. Here in this thread is a perfect example of the other side of the situation. Print places respect copyright however there are ways around it if not otherwise marked. The image itself in the thread I linked above is stated to not be marked in such a manor but merely placing a sticker onto it will reinforce it and cancel out many of the loop holes.

6. dipstick

dipstick TPF Noob!

Basically you own the rights to all your photos, so what you need to inform your clients about is what usage they get the rights to when they license a photo from you.

7. bellacat

bellacat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the info. I will write something up. I appreciate all the help