ISO Film/Camera

RedReaction

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is the relevance between the ISO speed on the camera and the speed of the film I'm using?

Does it need to match?

Yes. They do need to match in almost all circumstances. This is a basic question and a very good one...so until you want to "explore" unusual exposures and a seriously creative side of photography...set them to match.

ISO on your camera is the speed of the film you're using and it is the film's sensitivity to light.
The higher the number, the less sensitive it is to light but can produce more grain due to that fact.
The lower the number, the more sensitive it is.
It is recommended for the iso on the camera and the film speed to match, however there is 'pushing' and 'pulling'.
Push: to lie to your camera and set a higher speed than your film. Example: setting it to 400 when it is 200. This will make your camera think your film is less sensitive to light.
Pull: lying and setting a lower speed than your film.
*Think of pushing forward and pulling back.:thumbup:

If you push or pull, you'll have to make up when you develop by adding or lessening the times.

If I'm shooting Tri-X 400, I pull it to 200 to lower the contrast because it's a super contrasty film. :)

Here's a good site I should've looked up to save me the trouble of explaining lol.
http://www.jafaphotography.com/pushing_film.htm

Last edited:
The higher the number, the less sensitive it is to light

The lower the number, the more sensitive it is

You may want to check what you wrote, which might not be what you meant. ;)

Kevin
:???: don't quite know what you're getting at, but if you have to have it spelled out:
the higher the number, the better it can work in lower light.
the lower, more light needs to be present.

The higher the number, the less sensitive it is to light

The lower the number, the more sensitive it is

Kevin
:???: don't quite know what you're getting at, but if you have to have it spelled out:

He was saying you had it wrong. Now, you have corrected yourself.

Kevin

He was saying you had it wrong. Now, you have corrected yourself.
Hmm, after a wiki, I see what he means but in my own thinking it still gets less sensitive to light the higher the number. whatever floats your boat I guess. :)

Whatever floats your boat is fine except when you are teaching someone something that is wrong.

Uh oh...RedReaction. Now look at what you started! LOL! Let's all play nice. Who needs a beer?

Most reactions

Back