ISO problem?

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was shooting at an informal softball game and after uploading the images I am seeing that the ball and the batters hands are blured in most of the shots. I am wandering if it is due to the ISO being at 200. It was mid day and sunny out?? I think I may be getting confused about the ISO. The higher the more noise you will get but the faster the shot. I set the ISO to 200 thinking that it was very sunny out and I would not need it higher. Any help? Thanks

what was the shutter speeds at. sounds like the blur was due to a slower shutter speed.

if its sunny out, set your ISO to 100. you always want your ISO as low as possible, its just a necessary evil. i only turn mine up for low light shots, and everyone else on this forum does the same. the reason the batters hands are blurred, is because your shutter speed is to low. may i ask what its at? put it at 1/250 minumum, 1/500 preferred. Adjust your aperture as needed, since its not Macro, DOF (depth of feild) isnt a big issue. And all you want in focus is the batter anyway, right?

It was 1/200sec at f/11-ISO 200
Aperture mode

1/200 is not fast enough to freeze a baseball or fast moving hands.

When shooting sports or most anything, you should know what your shutter speed is...and you should be thinking about whether that will be fast (or slow) enough to get what you want. If it's not, then you might want to open up the aperture...and then think about turning up the ISO.

What you shouldn't do, is put it on ISO 200 and assume that your shutter speed will be fast enough.

Take it as a lesson and do better next time.

Ya, I am glad it was just a practice shoot:) I thought that the camera when in Aperture mode would adjust the shutterspeed so I was not concerned about it. So, by putting the A at f/11 I slowed down the shutter speed? If so that was probably my problem. Live and learn:)

raise the shutter speed to 1/500th, lower the aperture to 5.6, and put the ISO at 100. That should give you proper exposure AND frozen motion. of yeah, and put it in manual. there, problem solved.

LOL, thanks I appreciate it!

The blurred motion (depending on severity) may not always be a bad thing.

Very true but in my case it was:) I was using my 18-55mm lens:( and am really getting tired at not haveing the zoom range I would like but am holding off on running to circuit city and bying a cheaper zoom lens so I may one day own the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens:) Hopefully not to far away:):)

Most reactions

Back