ISO Question

smyth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you were shooting in low light (concert for example) , and not wanting to use a flash, with a f2.8 lens or a f1.9. I'm using film, not digital, so I don't want to waste money on the wrong speed film.

it depends on how close you are to the stage and what type of stage lighting there is.
So your best bet is probably to bring lots of film. If the stage lighting is good, and you are close to the stage you could probably get away with using 400 speed film but you would have to shoot wide open all the time and expect lots of blur. (i generally dont like color film over 400ISO and i just dont use it...ever...)
Black and white, well i think part of its charm is grain so i dont have a problem with the High ISO, i would bring some 400 speed in case you do have good lighting as well as 3200. this stuff can be shot at 1600 or 6400 or even 12000.
Ive shot it at 6400 before and trust me, you dont need much light at that ISO especially if you have a fast lens.
If i were to bring only 1 type of film to a shoot, it would be Ilford Delta Pro 3200. for color i would use Kodak UC400...but thats because i like its super saturated effect with stage lights and colors and stuff....

I shot wide open with an 85mmf1.8 ISO 800 on digital at a Duran Duran concert (with lots of light)!!

Low light = Higher ISO I'm afraid

I shot wide open with an 85mmf1.8 ISO 800 on digital at a Duran Duran concert (with lots of light)!!

Low light = Higher ISO I'm afraid

How did they come out?

But it depends on the concert too. I saw a lovely example a friend sent to me of a band he photographed. Using a 50mm f1.8 lens the EXIF showed: f2.5, 1/200th, ISO400 and it was perfectly exposed.

interesting, I don't suppose that will be my case, it's a bar, so the lighting will probably suck, but maybe not. I've never been in there for a show before.

If it's a bar . Go in there one night with some FUJI superior 800 . Stand where you hope to stand . and take a few shots of your mates standing where the band will be... Should give you some idea..

If not ... Depends on the distance (a 50mm lens is fast but not good over distance.. ) Light , etc. You really don't want to resort to flash . as it will bleach out the stage lighting and make it look as if you were in the office at midday..
If this is a friends band, Go to a rehearsal with them... ask the owner of the bar if you can shoot one or two of the acts who are on in the next week or two...

Basically .... Just be cheeky . and don't mind the odd refusal

unfortunately, I am not of age, so I can't get into the bar, except the day I plan on shooting, as it will be all-ages. I imagine i will probably shoot mostly ISO 800.

How did they come out?

Sorry for the delay..... Here's how they looked.... Lots of light here though.....

SimonL_Girl_1.jpg

SimonL_20.jpg

SimonL_1.jpg

Band_1_BW.jpg

and the rest

Duran-Montage.jpg

have a friend take your camera into the bar and set the ISO to 800 then use the cameras meter to decide if there is enough light 1 to 1/2 stop over what you would like. If not, set the camera as if there was 1600 film in it and test again, and so on until you know what film you'll need to use. giving yourself a half stop to full stop extra space means more likely than not you'll be fine, and even have room to stop down the aperture a little more.

of course this may require a quick lesson on your camera and its features, as well as using a light meter.

Most reactions

Back