ISO vs Sensor Size (Noise)

Tony Northrup's videos are like two people trying to race their cars over the internet using pointless specs to prove one is faster in the 1/4 mile than the other.

What he's doing in this video is comparing the size of an Apple to the color of an Orange.

There are plenty of good resources out there, even hosted at YT, you just have to know what to watch and who to trust.

But like why in the world does "sensor efficiency" matter? Why would you be watching this video in the first place? It's a made-up term, using a made-up formulas that does nothing except confuse the viewer and line your pockets when people relink the video to ask WTF is going on.

I'm starting to think that Youtube just isn't a good place to get information.
Reminds me of the history channel and this one reality show. Some guy that helps people live in desolate areas. One episode they went to this couple who dumped LA (or someplace) for remote Alaska. They put all their money into this homestead and used YouTube to learn how to live in remote areas. Free range chickens, pigs, etc all being taken by birds of prey, wolves, foxes, bears, etc. and they had a gigantic tree that was leaning over their house. He tried to learn how to use a chainsaw via youtube and promptly cut his knee.

Yikes.
Newbies just don't know enough to know that the information they're getting isn't very good.

How does he calculate the percentages? Looks like he just exaggerated.

He's taking the measured ISO rating from DXO mark, and multiplying by the crop factor squared.

He's basically trying to arbitrarily compensate the ISO rating to the size of the sensor to come up with some value that means absolutely NOTHING. Then he's exaggerating a meaningless entity "sensor efficiency" by then showing the difference in % between various sensors that had no arbitrary correction factors applied.

It would be like me saying: My 3.5L v6 is actually better than you 5.0L v8, because if I added 2-cylinders it would have been better because it could have potentially made more HP at just 4.6L.

It would be like me saying: My 3.5L v6 is actually better than you 5.0L v8, because if I added 2-cylinders it would have been better because it could have potentially made more HP at just 4.6L.

I'll keep my truck and keep wishing I had a D5

Most reactions

New Topics

Back