Issue with Ektar

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by molested_cow, Aug 29, 2009.

1. molested_cow

molested_cow No longer a newbie, moving up!

I started using Ektar 100 recently and I have issue getting the right color to show up when taking photo of the sky, deep blue type of sky.

eg. ( power cables with sky as background)

[​IMG]

As you can see, the sky turns gray while the colors on the cable remains. This has happened several times, almost every time I expect it to happen, it happens irregardless of lens, aperture and shutter speed setting. I even tried using polarized filter just for the heck of it. It's not as bad as w/o the filter, but it still causes the sky color to be much less saturated than what it should be. I also tried auto color in photoshop, and the result was not good. It over corrects the color making it over saturated and became very grainy.

The camera body I am using is Nikon F501, with Epson v700 to scan the negatives.

So what can cause this or how can I correct the problem?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm guessing the scanner software is getting confused by the limited color palette and is adjusting the colors to look like this. I've had that issue with epson scan before.

3. molested_cow

Any idea how I can solve the problem?

4. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Stop using auto anything.

Grab a demo version of Vuescan and follow this guide. Manully adjust your colors of the resulting scan with curves. If it is still grey, then worry about looking atthe camera/filter/film/exposure combo.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I would have to second the suggestion to get a copy of Vuescan to run your scanner. It's a good application.

"Auto" adjustments when scanning can lead to the types of drastic errors you've shown with your sky and cables example....automatic adjustments are quite often a recipe for disaster.

6. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You can also just use epsonscan, but adjust the colors manually using the sliders during the preview scan.

7. compur

compur No longer a newbie, moving up!

What color is the sky on the negs when viewed by eye?

8. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Seconded...

Try things in this order:

1. Continue using EpsonScan but use the "Professional" mode and disable any auto adjustment. Adjust colors and exposure manually. EpsonScan, when used in the full control "Professional" mode is a rather good scanning app.

2. Try the SilverFast SE scanning software that should have come bundled with your v700. This is rather high power scanning software that allows a lot of control.

3. Possibly try another scanning app like Vuescan.

You probably will find that you need go no further than #1 to achieve good results. I also have a v700 with both EpsonScan and SilverFast-SE installed. I've had the occasional image "fool" EpsonScan's auto adjust function. Simply disabling it and making manual adjustments is all I've ever needed to do. Images with a massive percentage of one color will often lead auto systems astray.

9. molested_cow

Alright, I rescanned it with both Epson scan and Vuescan and the color is correct this time. I guess this is what's so analog about this whole thing!

For me, all I do with Epson scan is to get the images. The only check box I use is the ICE option which helps to get rid of dusts and scratches for convenience sake. I do everything else in photoshop instead.

Thanks to you guys for your help! Now I got to get myself more negative sleeves....

10. dinodan

dinodan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm really liking Ektar 100...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009