Issues with Polarizing Filter???

skyvue2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I am new here and a novice...just learning.

I bought a 52mm circular polarizing filter for my Nikon D40 and it works great. Only one problem though...when downloading the images back home, I noticed the top corners of my frames have small blacked out corners...why is that? What am I doing wrong here? Is it because I still keep my UV lens on and place the polarizer over it? Should I take off the UV lens first...and then put the polarizer on?

HELP!

Thank so much!

Don in Germany

it is called vingetting and yes, all those filters are blocking the light at the corners.

use the polarizing filter without the uv filter.

Hi everyone, I am new here and a novice...just learning.

I bought a 52mm circular polarizing filter for my Nikon D40 and it works great. Only one problem though...when downloading the images back home, I noticed the top corners of my frames have small blacked out corners...why is that? What am I doing wrong here? Is it because I still keep my UV lens on and place the polarizer over it? Should I take off the UV lens first...and then put the polarizer on?

HELP!

Thank so much!

Don in Germany

Reinforcing Ann's response, it's almost never a good idea to use two filters simultaneously.

Wow! Talk about quick response!

Thank You all for responding and helping me out. I had a feeling it had something to do with too much glass (astronomy is another love of mine) but never knew that daylight would affect it that much. But now I do. I will ensure I take the UV filter off (I bought it to protect the main lens) before I shoot anymore shots with the polarizer.

Again, Thank You Ann and Socrates!

Don in Germany:thumbup:

Wow! Talk about quick response!

Thank You all for responding and helping me out. I had a feeling it had something to do with too much glass (astronomy is another love of mine) but never knew that daylight would affect it that much. But now I do. I will ensure I take the UV filter off (I bought it to protect the main lens) before I shoot anymore shots with the polarizer.

Again, Thank You Ann and Socrates!

Don in Germany:thumbup:

It's not really the extra glass but the extra distance. Your lens is looking through a tunnel.

Ahh, I see...extra distance. I guess it makes sense now. Sure hated that "tunnel" effect all the same.:er:

Thanks again, Don

If this is a zoom lens, you will realise that this effect increases if you go wide (you have a wide angle of view then, so you can actually "see" the filter edge blocking the light.)

With some ultra wide lenses you even need especially flat filters to avoid this effect, even if you do not stack them.

The effect can often be reduced by stopping down the aperture by the way.

Thank You Alex. I have only noticed it the one time out shooting with a Nikon AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EDII zoom lens (the one that came with the D40 kit) and I had stacked a circ. polarizer with a UV protection filter. Guess it was too much glass. Thanks for the tips.
;)

Gern geschehen!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back