issues with sharpness, d90

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. Can someone tell me how to set sharpness? I've looked at the manual, googled, and can't find how.. only that people do it....

Menu
Shooting Menu
Set Picture Control
Next to the OK button push the controller to the right
Pick the Picture Control you want to use (Standard, Vivid etc)
Next to the OK button push the controller to the right
You will see the options that you can adjust
Press the OK button

Don't worry about the default settings. You can always come back and click on RESET

Read the users manual carefully from cover to cover, twice. The quicker you get comfortable with how the manual is organised, the quicker you'll be getting killer pics out of your D90.

If you skip reading the manual carefully several times, your learnig curve will be much longer and you'll not know about many of the nice features the D90 has.

A google search of 'sharpness' only returns 11,800,000 hits, so that dog quit barking..

Got the sharpness thing, thank you. Yeah, I'm working my way through the book, and I know I have a lot to learn. Thank you all for you input.

I found that if I do go to "RAW" mode only, I do get .nef files. So I don't know why I don't get them when I do "Raw + jpeg"...

I went down to the lake (in chicago) and were taking a few dusk pictures which I think turned out decent. I found though that I get two strange white vertical lines that seem to be 1 pixel wide on my lcd screen. This is the first that I noticed it. They don't appear on the picture, only when I'm viewing the picture on the lcd after taking it. Anyone know why this is? Should I bother trying to find out and getting it fixed?

Here is a shot from tonight.

3907820491_0602132a8e.jpg

Read the users manual carefully from cover to cover, twice. The quicker you get comfortable with how the manual is organised, the quicker you'll be getting killer pics out of your D90.

sound advice

Book mark this link. Nikon support (free) is very helpful with anything and everything if you get stuck.
Nikon Support Contact Information

As far as the white line. I will see that if there is a very bright spot on the scene. I wonder if it was right around the building with the light on the top of it.

The D90 seems to really rock in darker situations. That flat lack of contrast daytime issue was the first thing I noticed too.

lcvtrs, how did you get around the lack of contrast during the day time?

of course images that have been resized to 500 pixels wide are going to look sharp, we'd need to see 100% blowups.

I'm not sure if this is frowned upon, but all of these images can be seen at full size here:

Flickr: jallgeyer514's Photostream

Ignore the ones of the woman and the kitten, that was taken over a year ago on another camera, and I just didn't get around to deleting them yet.

lcvtrs, how did you get around the lack of contrast during the day time?

Sorry I can't help there. Most of my pics are critters with big crops. Not too much in the way of landscapes. I've posted for some help on post processing. I've noticed that the run of the mill outside scenery shots are just kinda flat. Wait til you try to shoot in the winter - ick.

However, that being said, you can try the following. I tried a bunch of things and went back to the defaults but you should try too. You may like what you find. You can adjust the CONTRAST yourself. BUT you must turn off the ACTIVE D LIGHTING first.

Menu
Shooting Menu
Active D Lighting
Push controller to the right of the OK button
Turn ADL off
Now go back into your picture controls and you will see that you can adjust the contrast yourself (+/-3).

Another thing to try is to just set the ADL to other than AUTO (try LOW). It will push less light into your shadows maybe.

I get lost and frustrated when I try to many things, but give it a go. Maybe it will be the answer to your problems.

I've come to the conclusion that I must learn to PP and am trying. But I think I still want to get a zippy P-n-S for the landscape stuff. If that Canon SX10 had the propriatary lithium (I'm in that camp, I figure if you have 2 and you are not a Pro that should be all you ever need till you get back to a charger) I'd probably get it. They just released an SX20. Same AAs though.

Most reactions

Back