It is finally here!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ramesses, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Ramesses

Ramesses TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi Everyone:

I finally got my D40, today and tomorrow the 18-70 lens. I took my first three photographs, completely in auto, indoors (my study) and almost no light. When I saw them in the viewer, the first thing that popped into my mind was, why did I buy the 18-70 lens? However, after uploading them to the PC, I’m glad I did. The photos, to my surprise, came out very light – adjustment time and learning how to use the camera. The other thing, it lacks the quality. My first camera was a Supper Contaflex with a Zeiss-Ikon lens. Then, the Canon f/1.4 50mm(main lens – film.) The Canon was a come down from the Zeiss-Ikon lens. However, I’m not expecting miracles from the 18-70 lens.

Every time I see the D40, I can’t believe that I got this toy camera – it is small. However, after bringing it to my eye, it feels just great and the viewfinder is nice. Not as good as the AE1, but more than enough. I’m happy. I named the D40 “Thomas, the little camera that could!” (Yes, I have children as you can see.)

I’m getting into this digital photography thing. Boy, am I dated! These are not just cameras; they are PCs with a lens. The only thing I keep asking myself is: “Why did I wait so long?" (Back to reading the manuals and the digital photography thing.)

Best Regards,

Ramesses

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    CONGRATULATIONS :D

You'll get into this digital thing. But there is nothing wrong with liking both: film and digital. I know I do!
    Though digital has become my more frequent choice these days, I must admit. I have to simply hand in my rolls of film and wait for what the big lab makes of them. On the other hand, I have all this control over what I want my digital photos to look like and it is all my doing. I like that aspect! (And this is not saying that I now shoot about carelessly and wait for pp software to do its miracles! It won't make bad photos good!)

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Stop your 18-70 down to f/8 and see what happens.

4. Ramesses

Ramesses TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi:

Thanks!!! I’m really excited.

I agree with you about film. They are still better quality. However, the lag time between the photograph and viewing the results, is too much and the expense of it all. It will cost about ~ $10 / 36 photos between film, developing, and digitizing.

With digital you have instant feedback. I remember getting the photos back and not knowing what I did and what lens I took it with unless I kept notes for every photo and all the technical information. In digital, you have everything done for you. How can we become better photographers when you do not know the results of what you did for days and even weeks, if you are traveling? The lag time, the expense, and primarily, as you said, lack of control, is what drove me away – a little by little process that ended with me stopping – I found other things to do.

Quality is not everything. In my opinion, digital is the way to go if we want to grow as amateur photographers. We cannot have everything – life is a series of compromises. I would love to have the Leica M8, but compromise. I simply do not have the $12.000 to buy the body and 2 or 3 lenses. However, I’m thrilled with my D40 and feel happy and lucky to have it.

Best Regards,

Ramesses

5. Ramesses

Ramesses TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi FX:

Ok. What happens? :) I do not have it yet. :grumpy:

Best Regards,

Ramesses

6. Groupcaptainbonzo

Groupcaptainbonzo TPF Noob!

I don't know where this "Digital is not as good as film" thing comes from... Sure 10 even 5 years ago... But if you compare a picture from an EOS 1 + "L" series glass on Fuji Velvia (About as good as 35mm ever gets...) With the same image from an EOS 1 DS Mk II through the same glass (about as good a digital equivalent as you're likely to get). I think you will find as much quality as you can handle. In fact, IMHO, we are waiting for the lens to catch up with the sensor.
    Digital is different from film and has a different feel. Just like mono chrome and colour. or 35mm /medium/large format( all of which are still alive and kicking in both pro and amateur arenas). But believe me in MY opinion we have seen it arrive in every definition of the phrase..

7. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    f/8 is give or take your lens' sharpest aperture.

8. Groupcaptainbonzo

Groupcaptainbonzo TPF Noob!

Lenses may reach from f1.2 ish to f64 +. Most lenses will be sharpest with the least amount of distortions and aborations at somewhere around the middle stops. This is usually f8ish.
    Take a shot or two at f8 and the results should be as good as it gets..