It pays to be honest, yup sure does

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by kundalini, Oct 31, 2008.

1. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is an anti-thread to one recently where someone wanted to cheat a store by unscrupulous means. In the end, we all pay for that type of mind set.

So here's my story....

It happened just today. I was filling out my "timecard" on-line (I work remotely from my home) and I got this nagging sensation (thankful it wasn't a burning sensation) that something wasn't right. So I went to the previous pay period and to my astonishment I had not shown 40 hours of vacation time that was taken.

Ummmm, what to do, what to do, what to do .... no one had contacted me about it, yet. It could be possible to let it slide and see what happens. But I get nervous about crap like this and prefer to have a clear conscious. Hell, I even commented this week in a thread that I was excited to still have a job so I can buy toys. Nope, not worth the aggro.

So I call my boss and left a message concerning my discovery. A couple of hours passed before she finally returned my call. She had overlooked it as well, but the monthly reports had not been completed. She was very thankful for my honesty and gave me 3 additional days of vacation for the year. (Our year runs from October to September btw)

I can guarantee you the payback will be greater than three days salary.

Do you have a story you'd like to share?

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

I always try and do the right thing. Like when people use the autocheck out things at the stores. And leave their cash back in the machine. I always yell to them. A couple dollars is not going to make my forturnes any better.

I was at a HD one day to return a door I picked up the wrong size, and was going to get another. Since I used my debit card, they gave me cash back. I went and got my new door which cost the same. So I figured just give them the same pile of money back. The thing was I had $50 left over. I normally keep money in my wallet and not my pocket. This money I had in my pocket, but I had been spending money left and right all day long (alot). So, I took the door out to my truck and came back in with my return recipt and went to the same guy that did the return. I said I think you gave me too much back. Can you count your drawer and check. So he started counting the drawer and he actually came out $100 ahead??? The manager took my name and number and said if we find the error we will call you. They never did.

I am still not sure if it was their money or mine. It's just funny its was $50 on the nose. Anyway I got to keep it.

3. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the other day i was doing a run n snatch on an old ladies purse.... i ran into a back alley to catch my breath and was overcome with guilt...

i thought about how long it would take to for her to get all her i.d. back etc... in a gesture of good will.... i ran back and handed the old lady the purse....

less half the money (she'll never know the difference anyways)...

anyways.... i'm feeling pretty good about myself.....

i figure... what goes around comes around....

4. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

I do hope you're kidding.

5. Dmitri

Dmitri No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    He's Canadian. If anything, he stuck money INto some old ladies purse.

6. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And today is not April 1st, is it?...

7. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A few more of these and you can get that 70-200 you want.:lol:

8. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

Some guy where i work noticed that he had been overpaid continuously over the last three months or so. So he got in touch with the wages department and told them about it. They were very grateful, as you would imagine. The next month he looks at his wage slip and finds that they have taken all the money he owed them in one go, leaving him with not enough money to pay his bills, including his mortgage. He speaks to them again and tells them he cannot afford to give them all the money back in one go, but they don't care about his bills, they just want their money back. He ended up speaking to a solicitor who sorted it all out. Now i believe he is paying it back in manageable, monthly instalments.

I suppose it depends if the company you work for has any respect for their staff or whether they just treat them with contempt.

9. Harmony

Harmony TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I see that our reputation precedes us!

I was actually just watching photographer's rights videos... nothing exciting ever happens like that here...

10. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    My story starts out similar to this one. I found I was overpaid by a whole 1 weeks wages (40 hours) in a biweekly paycheck. Now, probably to most of you, that overpayment amount is just a few hours work. I notified the HR person who does the payroll and she set me up on paying it back 2-3 hours worth at a time because they wanted me to not only pay back what I got in my paycheck, but also the taxes, 401k contribution, and all other deductions as well (they couldn't get the company's money back from the taxes and stuff.)

All was well, it was paid back. A couple of years go by when I get a call from the payroll person again. This time, she asks me if I am suppose to be on an open timeclock punch (production personnel can only punch in 15 minutes before their shift and only get paid starting at their normal shift time). I was suppose to be on an open punch, but the timeclock was rounding all my start times up to 7 am. This was a big problem that I never noticed. Very often, I go into work at 6 am or 6:30 am. So, she told me she will research it and let me know.

It took her about 2 weeks, but she finally calls me again. She went through the last 3 years of me working this position and calculated all the pay I was losing from my early starts being rounded up to 7 am. She then cut me a check for about $1900 of back pay (again, probably doesn't sound like a lot of money to you guys, but that's about 3-4 full weeks of working for me). That was a VERY nice "bonus" for me!

11. cherry30

cherry30 TPF Noob!

It really pays to be honest. You have more to gain and nothing to lose.

12. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I always try to be honest, but in the end I usually end up getting screwed. I do it anyway.