It was tough

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Holly, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Holly

Holly TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I dont have any pictures edited yet... Shooting as a second photographer was tough.. I had a hard time trying to take pictures around the main photographer... No one was looking at me etc... IT was not a great experience to say the least... I like to have control when doing photographs.. Being second in line wasnt easy lol... Once I just starting shooting after the main photos were done it went ok... I wish my first few came out great, but better luck next time...

Those of you who have shot as a second shooter how was your experience?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've acted as 2nd photographer (on the B&G's request, not in accordance with the Pro)...and yes, it can be tough to shoot around the Pro. That's one reason why I try never to do that. If the Pro is shooting, I try to be somewhere else, getting something that they are not. It may be a different angle or it may be candids of other people. I don't feel the need to get the exact same shots as the pro.

The exception being if I want certain shots for my portfolio...but even then, I'd prefer them to be something that I have set up...and not someone else.

3. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Once again, Mike... reading my mind.

And yeah, Holly... I can't imagine not being in control of my own images. And when you throw the limited time a couple is available into the mix, they're less likely to take more time away from the reception.

I'm looking forward to see what you did get!

Have fun.

Pete

4. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    But I bet your photos are better than the Pro's. So it may of been tough but I bet it was worth it

5. Holly

Holly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I wasnt out to get the exact shots.. but my brother doesnt like to sit still.. When I did candids those were the easiest.. But as far as the group pictures I had to take them when the pro took them because that was the only time I was able to get in there and get them...

I will post soon for input... I cant say Im to pleased with them, but the candids I am ok with .. .Thanks every one!

6. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When I did pictures at my bro's wedding this summer I didn't even try to be anywhere near the hired photog. I just did my own thing elsewhere and tried not to get in the way. It wasn't bad and I got to take pictures of things that he wasn't getting. But, it was hard to get any group stuff taken with the limited time. But, I'm happy with what I got.
    Another cool thing was that their photog. was all about getting the posed shots in front of the altar and I think that stuff is so boring and it meant that I got to do a few more creative styled shots when he wasn't using certain people.

7. W.Smith

W.Smith TPF Noob!

I recently read that statistics determine that you need to make an average of 300 exposures of a group of 20 people to be mathematically certain there will be at least ONE photo where EVERYbody will have their eyes open . . .
    That is the benefit of a second photog for group shots: it significantly increases the chance of capturing exactly that ONE good moment.