It's a Room. CC

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by SwissJ, Apr 24, 2010.

1. SwissJ

SwissJ TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Please tell me what you think of this shot. Anything or everything. I could use a real beat down right now. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm the only one I know who makes their bed... old military habit I guess.

The light's too bright... a lamp shade (or a different one) maybe would have helped?

Good job lining up with the door. I also like the way the knob really stands out

I feel like the image should tell a story but I'm not really getting one, maybe a bit too shallow for that.

EDIT: Why ask for a beatdown? :scratch:
    Also, can you give us more information about what your thoughts are behind this? I'm curious..

3. FattyMcJ

FattyMcJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's uninteresting....what were you going for with this shot?

A spooky "spy" type view? The door is too open for that, and the focus is bassackwards for that. If you're spying THROUGH something, the focus should be on what you're spying ON, not spying THROUGH.

I'm just not sure why you took this photo, and more specifically why you focused on the door handle rather than inside the room since the handle/door is only about 15% of the entire shot.

Not to mention the exposure is set for the bed, not the handle which is underexposed while the light inside the room is way overexposed and distracting.

Some more info on your intent would be helpful.

4. SwissJ

SwissJ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    just to invite criticism, that's all :mrgreen:
    Valid point... the lighting is blown out.
    Curiously, why do you like that the knob stands out?

5. SwissJ

SwissJ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I may have confused us both. Would you say then that the main subject is the door knob or the room interior?

Great comment. But what if the focus is on the act of spying itself... or having to go/look through something to get to whatever's being spied on. Also, when you say focus, do you mean focus as in main subject or photo clarity... or are they one in the same?

6. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Like FattyMcJ mentioned the whole 'spy' feeling, but I feel that more with the knob in focus - like someone's going to grab it and slam the door shut on your face. Like he also said, if the door were closed more it would be more appropriate to that theme.

He gave you a much better critique than I did though, kind of makes me want to shut my mouth and lurk more :oops:

7. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Paul

If each individual was to give the same critique, there would be no reason for photography.

One of the great aspects of photography is the difference of opinion an individual can have and still be correct.

8. SwissJ

SwissJ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Reznap,
    Actually, I found your comment quite helpful. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have asked you to elaborate on it.

9. FattyMcJ

FattyMcJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm saying the photo's actual main subject is the door knob (based on focus), but SHOULD be the bedroom, if going for the spy thing.

If the focus (of the shot, not actual sharpness) is on the "act" of spying, then what is being spied upon should be a LOT smaller than it is in this shot.

For instance, when I think of a "spy shot" like this using a door and a bedroom, I would like to see the shot be of a door handle/keyhole (filling a large percentage of the frame and being sharp) and a silhouette (out of focus but still discernable) of a person (pref. female lol) as a VERY small shadow through the keyhole, or of a computer screen for the espionage look and less kinky. Something like that.

10. FattyMcJ

FattyMcJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, I merely added to what you had to say.

It's what I usually do here. If someone has already stated what I was thinking, then I don't post and/or thank that person for saying what I was thinking.

If they said most of it, I add on, but leave out what they said so as not to be redundant. (Which is the case here)

Your critiques are quite helpful and I'd ask that you NOT "shut your mouth", every little bit counts! IMO. :thumbup:

11. chriswellner

chriswellner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Border is too thick and not enough contrast for me.