It's all in the eye of the beholder

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Miaow, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thought this article might interest a few people - It was in the opinions section of a local paper here.

2. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I believe that it's incorrect to suggest that photographers are being singled out. Right or wrong, it's a new world and everyone is impacted. When I flew commercially the first time, the airline gave out free cigarettes and the cockpit didn't even have a door! Now, they'll lock you up if you light a cigarette and you need to prove your innocence before you can so much as set foot in the airport.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    people don't see them - most people hardly ever look up and those black domes in shops don't look like cameras so most people forget that they are there; A photographer with a huge lens however is easily noticable.

Going further I think the first thing is that media, government and general hype has gone a long way to make people fear other people more and more - we no longer walk in saftey and fear our fellow Man.
    The final bit I think is that people don't like to feel out of control - in the past when your photo was taken by a "pro" (as only pros could afford a big camera!) people felt that they could trust them to some degree- and besides the worst that could happen is that the photo of you would end up in a gallery. Nowadays people fear finding their photo on the internet - and what could happen to it in the hands of a photoshopper - just think you could be made out to be having an affare!

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With terrorism yes the entire world is going to ****, but this article being about the suspicion of paedophilia really doesn't affect airlines much.

In that sense yes photographers are being singled out. Sure in airlines it's back to the whole terrorism mentality but I had enough problems photographing a university volleyball tournament (everyone was 18 or over). The management of the event tried to throw me out (out? they were playing on a beach) and only decided against it when the two teams I was with threatened to walk off the tournament.

It is an interesting article but a sad one too. My camera makes people suspicious especially mothers for no reason what so ever. Heck I weigh in at about 70kg most of these mothers could easily beat me in a fight (or eat me whole and have space for desert in the case of some). How am I a threat.

5. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    What I find most annoying is holiding a little silver compact no one cares less - but you hold an expensive camera and suddenly you must be a bad person - I mean you can zoom like miles and miles with a big camera - all you can do with a compact is hide it!

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Good read...

Photographers are just among several groups playing the part of the scapegoat for an unknown/invisible enemy (whether pedophiles, terrorists, or the boogeyman).

I'm not that old and even I can look back just 1 decade and see a huge difference. It is a sad state of affairs. Shame on those (all of them) that leverage fear for their own agenda. Shame on those that are willing to give up their rights to "feel" more secure.

7. jg123

jg123 TPF Noob!

You can't take pictures at the local pool here in Toronto, Canada

8. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    This reminded me of something I (rather painfully) learnt. You know all those CCTV cameras - well most can't even read a car number plate - let alone a face. All they can do is show up these coloured blobs on the screen - so is you can identify the blob that is you and the blobs that are your attackers you can see that you were - in fact - attacked. Can't see thier faces though.... :(
    (that is if you are lucky enough to get attacked in a camera zone - and not 5 paces after!)

9. Mullen

Mullen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This made me giggle a little bit inside..

I don't really photograph people, so I never really get those 'He's a criminal' looks. When I'm walking around outside with the 70-300mm and a monopod attached to my 40D that's around my neck, I get some 'WTF is he carrying?' looks from people that drive by.

10. jvgig

jvgig TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I find that if you are walking around and stop specifically to take a picture you get many more glancing eyes than if you are stopped at a street corner due to traffic or are sitting on a park bench. Maybe people then think that you are just trying to pass the time by taking a few shots rather than being on a mission to photograph them.

11. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The fear of terrorism has certainly accelerated these issues but they've been gradually implemented over quite a period time. I expect that you have at least heard of the Liberty Bell in the U.S. I remember when you could walk up and touch it (which I did many times). Now, you can't get within ten feet and it's protected by bullet-proof glass and human guards. Bullet-proof glass! It's cast iron, for God's sake and it was broken several hundred years ago. For the record, these conditions have nothing to do with 9-11. They've been in place for at least the last twenty years. On the other hand, you are allowed to photograph it (through the glass).

12. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Isn't that nice...

Liberty Bell imprisoned...