It's All Your Fault (not really) - Recent Pics for C&C

JillH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Seriously, I've learned so much, and have gotten great feedback and encouragement since joining this forum, I went out today all by myself for some experimenting. For the first time ever, I didn't use the auto setting on my D50 once! I also shot in RAW for the first time and did some post-processing in the free ViewNX program. Here are some results - love any feedback or suggestions you might have for them:

1. I shot this one through the glass viewing window. I was going to try and clone out the tongue, but I thought it actually was pretty cool and added something to the photo.
ry%3D480

2. Don't know what was with my catching animals with their tongues out today, but this guy looked like he was giving the visitors a big old raspberry "thbpppppt"!
ry%3D480

3. I have done absolutely ZERO post-processing to this photo, but I welcome suggestions on how to improve it. I took this in the walk through area of the shark tank at the aquarium and was pretty surprised when I saw the result!
ry%3D480

Thanks for looking!

i love #1 and 2#, i would have maybe cropped #1 to get the tiger in the full frame, just so he's like up in your face kinda thing. he looks like he's stalking and steadily approaching you, so i'd want to convey that to the viewer.

love the monkey!

Jill
Congrats on going manual!!!

I like the shark photo, especially since there is not PP.

I really like the tiger shot, for its composition.
How did you get so low in the frame to make it look like the tiger is hunting you down????

I really like #1. I think it looks good how yur low to the ground and the tiger looks like it is stalking you. I think #3 is really good too. I like the efect of shooting through the water. Good job. :thumbup:

i love #1 and 2#, i would have maybe cropped #1 to get the tiger in the full frame, just so he's like up in your face kinda thing. he looks like he's stalking and steadily approaching you, so i'd want to convey that to the viewer.

love the monkey!

+1 & Keep the tongue, it looks like he's hungry for the viewer.

Jill
Congrats on going manual!!!

:thumbsup:

#1 - how I shot this: the viewing window sill is actually just above ground level, and the tiger can walk right up to the glass. I crouched real low in the window, primarily to find a clear piece of glass with no glare, but I wanted to try and shoot the animal at his eye level.

The Pittsburgh Zoo is really an amazing place - it isn't huge (just the right size actually) but it's beautifully laid out with great natural habitats for the animals, and terrific viewing platforms. I took over 200 shots in four hours yesterday!

#2 is great. Sharp focus, awsome DOF, interesting framing with the sticks. The only thing that bothers me is you can see some netting texture on the background.

The blown out background on #1 is overwhelming, while the subject is still a bit underexposed. This could be fixed in PS. #3.... eh, I don't like seeing shark butt. You also cut off the tail.

I love #2, it makes his arm look so big compared to his head. Great shots, I would call it a successful trip.

Tiger - crop off some of the left to make it "even" and get a proper 2x3 aspect ratio.

Monkey - The shadow areas are too dark. You should easily be able to boost the shadow areas in software so there's more detail there.

Shark - Don't know what to do with a shark-butt picture. I'd throw that one out.

Jeremy:
The monkey house is very dark and I was using a very low shutter speed - plus I was shooting through glass so I couldn't use any flash. When I tried to lighten the background, it got really grainy looking, so I left it darker.

As far as the shark butt - yeah. I guess that's one of those things that isn't appealing. I really liked how the colors and texture of the water turned out though!

Is there some rule that I am unaware of, that say you *MUST* have detail in the shadows?

OK - I fooled around in the RAW editor and re-worked the tiger picture. Better?

ry%3D480

Congrats on your solo adventure! I really love the tiger photo, I can't wait to see more.

Most reactions

Back